A historic hero
Who he was...
- was the dominant figure in the largest slave revolt
- born on May 20 1743
- rose from enslavement to the military and political leadership of Haitian struggle for independence
- symbol of black power,dignity, and autonomy
- inspired people who supported and didn't support
- lived in Haiti
- very prosperous place
- grew various items
- coffee, sugar, cotton, tobacco, and cocoa
- August 22, 1791, slaves of Cap Francias hinterland rose up in revolt, he joined as a dr.
- December 4, 1791, first recorded activity with the rebels
- 1793, became chief lietenant to slave general Biassou
- 1795, Treaty of bayle ended war between spain and france