A Middle East Religion
The followers of Islam are called, Muslims.
The Five Pillars of Islam are the five religious duties expected of every Muslim. The five pillars are mentioned individually throughout the Qur'an and Muhammad listed them together in the Hadith when he was asked to define Islam.
They are : Faith, Prayer, Fasting during Ramadan, Pilgrimage to Mecca, and Alms.
- Confession of faith (shahada)
- Ritual prayer (salat)
- Alms tax (zakat)
- Fasting during the month of Ramadan (sawm)
- Pilgrimage to Mecca (hajj)
- Beliefs of Islam
- The Six Articles of Faith
- Human Nature
Place of Worship
The place of Worship for Muslims is in a Mosque.
The worship leaders for the Muslims are the Iman- Prayer Leader and Mullah- teacher.
The Holy book for the Muslims is called the Koran or Qu'ran.
- The Islamic Calendar
- Al-Hijra: Islamic New Year
- Ramadan: Month of Fasting
- 'Id Al-Fitr: Festival of Breaking the Fast
- 'Id Al-Adha: Festival of the Sacrifice
- Ashura: Remembering Shiite Martyr Husayn
Mecca is the most sacred place in Islam. The Ka'ba in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.