Mrs. Smith's First Grade News
September 8th - 11th
- Spelling: The students will be practicing words with the short vowel "a".
- Wordly Wise: We will begin our vocabulary lessons the week of September 14th.
- ABC Order: Each week, the students will put their spelling words in alphabetical order. They will learn strategies for completion and understand why it is an important skill.
- Complete Sentences: The students will be expected to answer questions or respond to comments using complete sentences. This includes a capital letter, punctuation, and what we know as subject-verb agreement. The students will also be expected to use part of the question in the answer.
- Read Aloud: Our focus this week will be poetry. We will be reading fun poems by Shel Silverstein. During read aloud, we will discuss the characters in the story/poem.
- Reading Comprehension: Each week, the students will be expected to read a passage and answer questions about what they read.
- Mad Minutes: The students will be given 5 minutes to complete as many addition problems as possible.
- Hundreds, Tens, and Ones: After lots of practice in class, using manipulatives, and viewing problems solved digitally, the students will be expected to read and write numbers up to 120 as groups of hundreds, tens, and ones. They must be able to draw pictures to show how they solved problems and to illustrate their hundreds, tens, and ones.
- Vocabulary: digit, tens, ones
- How Scientists Work: The students will be learning how scientists solve problems. We will talk quite a bit about what it means to be a good scientist, and we will act as scientists when we plan investigations and use tools to complete them and draw conclusions. Please help your child study the definitions for these vocabulary words at home.
- Vocabulary: senses, inquiry skills, science tools, thermometer, investigation
Dates to Remember
- Thursday, September 10th: Open House- 5:00-6:30
- Thursday, September 17th: Hands on Art
- Thursday, September 17th: Picture Day
- Tuesday, September 22nd: Early Dismissal- 12:15
- Wednesday, September 23rd: No School!
Ancillary Schedule (1:10-1:50)
- Tuesday: Math 2 with Ms. Taghavi
- Wednesday: Library with Mrs. Russell
- Thursday: Writing Lab 2 with Ms. Widdowson
- Friday: P.E. 1 with Coach Jones
Ella Knape- August 28th
September flyers went home last Monday. You may visit scholastic.com to shop around and place your order. Please use our class code: L73G9.
Letter from the Editor
- Open House will take place this Thursday evening in our classroom, room 105. Doors will open at 5:00 and close at 6:30. This is a come-and-go event that is student-led. I will be present to greet you and answer any questions you may have, but your students will be taking the reins and showing you all their hard work from the first few weeks of school. All family members are welcome to attend. I hope to see you there!
- The Fall Parent Conference sign-up sheet will be up at Open House. If you have not signed up for a conference yet, please do so on Thursday evening or via e-mail in the meantime. If you have not confirmed your date and time yet, please do so ASAP.