Kingdom Animalia-All animals in the kingdom animalia are multicellular and have heterotrophs. They ingest food and digest it in their stomach.
Phylum Chordates- Bilateral symmetry, have three germ layers, have an endoskeleton
Sub-Phylum Vertebrates- Muscles are attached to the endoskeleton, large digestive glands.
Class Mammalia-There are over 500 species placed in 26 orders. They have three middle ear bones and have a vertebra.
Order Even-Toed Ungulates- Have first, second, third, fourth and fifth digits. Have plane symmetry.
Family Bovidae-Largest of the 10 extant families, more than 140 extant, 300 extinct species.
Species Bison bison
Bison General Description
Weight- On average bison weigh 318 to 900 kg or 700 to 1982 lbs
Length-On average a bisons length is 2.1 to 3.8 m or 6.89 ft to 12.47 ft
Color- Bisons fur color ranges from brown to black. But in rare cases there is an albino bison which is white.
Natural range- American bison are found along the West Coast.
Diet- Bison usually eat roots, bark, wood, stems, and leaves.
Habitat description- The American Bison lives in the grass land where there is a lot of food.
Predators- The American Bison has three main predators, the mountain lion, wolves and humans.
These are the key points of where the bison live
This is a comparison between the albino bison and the normal bison
This is a baby bison also called a calf
- The hair on its head,neck,shoulders, and forelegs. This helps it survive in cold temperatures and to keep warm.
- The horns are black and curved. This helps it survive because to protect young.
- hair is longer in the fount then the back. This helps them survive because in the cold the air hits the front before the back.
- Bison have long legs. This helps them survive because when the are running it is easier
- Bison have long fur. This helps them survive because when the cold hits they are warm
- When bison travel, they form a line. This helps them survive because it helps divert predators away.
- Bison are good swimmers, capable of reaching 62 km/hr. This helps them survive because if a predator is chasing them they can get away fast.
- Males live either individually or in groups that may be as large as 30 males.