August 26, 2016
Welcome to 4th Grade! This year our classroom will be sending out weekly newsletters. These will be written by myself and the students of 4SC! This will be an excellent way for everyone to stay connected with what is going on in our classroom. We can't wait to share everything we will be working on. This is going to be an awesome year!
Our Week of Learning
- Students created guidelines four our Readers Workshop - ask your child to shares some of the guidelines they came up with.
- We talked about the importance of finding a "just right" book. Students had an opportunity to practice finding books that were "just right."
- We also started reading our first novel - Because of Winn Dixie. We will use this novel to model the following: making inferences, determining character traits, and showing our thinking while reading.
- Our first module will be on Place Value. This week we introduced the basic concepts of place value and completed a few review activities. Next week will will jump into our first module.
- Lesson tutorials: http://www.geneva304.org/FourthGrade_ccm.aspx
- Our first unit for Social Studies will be on Map Skills. Students will learn about various types of maps, how to read them, and their different components. This will lead into our study of the US Regions.
It was wonderful meeting all of you at Curriculum Night. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding the information presented. I am looking forward to a wonderful year!
Reminders and Upcoming Events
Monday, September 5 - No School
Tuesday, September 6 - Picture Day
Friday, October 7 - Grandparent's Day
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!