The FRIDAY Review
December 1, 2019
NEW CHANGES IN PLACE!
We are lucky to be fully staffed administratively, again, and look forward to a productive year. You will find attached and within the links provided each admin's responsibility. Pleaes adhere to the responsibility document to seek help and/or assistance. Grade levels and topics are separated out by administrator.
Thank you for your help as we transition for the remainder of the year!
Below, you will find the Faculty Meeting agenda where we will discuss these changes.
From Mrs. Lewis...
- PROGRESS REPORTS - Go Home Wednesday, December 4th (The Wed after Thanksgiving - No exceptions)
- Hallways -Please be reminded that hallways are quiet zones while traveling through the building or lining up to change classes. It is a requirement that students transition quietly so that instruction is not interrupted.
- CHRISTMAS CHEER - It’s that time of year once again! We are asking the Spring Hill family to help the Student Support Services Department and Project P.I.N.K. to put a little Christmas Cheer under the tree of some of our Spring Hill children this year. Our Christmas tree will be located outside the front office. It will have ornaments with the item that can be selected, including meal items. Please include the ornament with the item that was purchased upon return. Items do not need to be wrapped. All items must be returned by Monday, December 16, 2019. Thank you so much for all of your caring and generosity. We greatly appreciate all of your help.
- Chocolate Money - All chocolate money is due back by this Friday, December 6th Please announce to students that they will not be able to participate in extracurricular events unless chocolate money that is owed is paid.
- TIMELY CLASS CHANGES - All teachers should make it a priority to change classes on time. Waits for class changes robs students of precioys instructional time.
- . Harris is a star again. She has a role in the Play, Sylvia. Feel free to go see her in action... Dec 4, 5, 7 @ 7pm, Dec 6 @ 6pm to include dinner or Dec. 8th @ 2pm.
- Christmas Party Sign Up http://shmschristmasparty.rsvpify.com
- Copier Issues have been resolved with the district; Hopefully, this will eliminate problems.
- We need you! Please make attendance and on time arrivals a priority. Doctor's appt should be scheduled outside of the school day, when possible. Absences just before holidays should be avoided, as this is some of our busiest days. Thanks for your help!
- MONDAY, DEC 2nd - Faculty meeting - Required
- COACHES - Students are not to be left outside on the benches waiting for pick up for practices. If a child goes missing and you did not supervise, what car did he leave in? What did the person look like? SAFETY FIRST!
- Student ATTENDANCE - Do you have students that are missing your class? Have you contacted Mrs. Fehlman? CFST?
- ON YOUR FEET - Please be reminded that we should be teaching on your feet, not from the seat. (Non-negotiable)
- PROGRESS REPORTS - Go Home Wednesday, December 4th (The Wed after Thanksgiving)
- 2019-2020 REDO - Please plan to meet during your planning on Monday, Dec. 2nd for a 2019-2020 redo. We have all admin on board and the front office will have additional help. We look forward to a new kickoff to a great year!
- Sherri McInnis will be working in the front office, part time, as the receptionist. Please give her a warm welcome beginning Monday, Dec. 2nd.
- DEC 13 - Please save the date. We look forward to spending time with our Spartan Family at our annual Christmas Party. Staff members and a significant other, friend or family member is invited. Staff members' meal / drink will be covered. More information soon!
- DEC 6 - 1/2 Day PD (12:00 Dismissal) - See schedule attached
Dec 6 will be ½ Day PD Day. This will be content based PD on the state’s new Open Ed Resources. Teachers should bring their electronic devices/laptops.
Information on Student Services PD is forthcoming from Jamie Synan. PreK PD information will be coming from Barbara Adams
- SMART LUNCH - Dec 5
- ATHLETES - Athletes, cheerleaders,including Queen Steppers, are not to be released until the 2nd bell during dismissal.
- STIPEND - Teachers that participated in the STEM training on August 5th will receive a $125 stipend for your attendance. Coming soon.
- NC CHECKIN / BENCHMARK SCORES - What are you doing to work on the standards that students did not do well in? Please ensure that you find a way to reteach/review before the next round of benchmarks?
- TWO QUESTIONS - Did you place two HOT questions PER ACTIVITY in your lesson plans? This is a non-negotiable.
Please consider helping a great cause...United Way of Scotland County. Even $1 counts as a donation. Please give your cards and money to Ms. Audrey in the front office.
- Please be reminded that students must have a pass to leave class. ONLY ONE student per pass. If you need passes for your class, see Ms. Audrey.
*6-8 ELA/SS/Arts/Media (Carver Media Center)
*6-12 Math/Sci/CTE/PE (SHS Media Center)
*K-12 Extended Content (SHS, RM-TBD)
* Grades 6-12 PD: 1:00-4:00
REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
- Would you like to recognize a colleague for their birthday or special occasion for only $10? The rock is up for rental for both students and staff. . https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AW87lGewOgBuhBwZ2tV9UHSovcFX3a01H0E3R0BJtcc/edit
- CHROMEBOOK FORMS - YAY!!! We have 100% of our student body that has returned all paperwork! As we get new students, they should have parental signatures on forms at the point of enrollment, but if you need me to add them to Study Island, please email me. I will add them to the spreadsheet that I have shared with you as a googlesheet. Please encourage students to pay their $25 fee.
MONEY - All money is due by 2pm each day. This allows Ms. Audrey to count and deposit before leaving work each day.
- NON-NEGOTIABLES - (teach on your feet unless you are conducting small group instruction, cell phones away while students are in your care, while on duty and/or during professional meetings, Praise in public - reprimand in private, SHMS is a no yell zone, students should be supervised at ALL times, the Friday Review and all emails will be read in a timely manner)
From Mrs. Tippett
- Winter Sports Sign Up - We are in need of staff members for WEDNESDAY'S, Dec. 4, basketball games! Please click the link to sign up. The deadline to sign up is Monday afternoon.
- InForce 911 (new alert system) training will be held soon!
- Fire drill info: Please make sure clipboards are taken out during a fire drill. Updated rosters should be on the clipboard and attendance needs to be taken to ensure all students are accounted for. Remember to hold up the red card if you are missing a student(s).
- RED CARDS will be on the table beside the sign in computer in the teacher workroom. Mr. Bowman says you need two, one to put under the door and one for the window in the event you need immediate help during a lockdown. One can go on your clipboard by the door and the other in the window seal.
- NC Check In 1 for Math 1 (8th) classes will be Wednesday, December 4. All 8th grade classes will remain in 1st core until an announcement is made that testing is over. Please keep noise and movement in the hallway at a minimum. Testing will also be taking place in the media center.
- NC Check In 2 window is January 8 - 17.
From ESTELLA JOHNSON
From Cabinet - Social Studies Policy Implementation Webinar (to view) - Part II: Social Studies Standards Policy Implications
From Cabinet - Webinar - Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM NCDPI mathematics consultants along with school counseling consultant, Cynthia Floyd, will discuss the new and revised 4th level mathematics courses, changes to course codes, and the Mathematics Options Chart. In August 2019, the State Board of Education approved the standards for a revised Precalculus course, revised and renamed Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science, and the new NC Math 4 course. This approval will lead to updates of the mathematics course codes and the Mathematics Options Chart. During this session we will also discuss changes to math credits for CTE courses and other important changes. Note that Individual participants must login to the webinar to receive a certificate of participation. Click this link to register.
- From Cabinet - NC DPI K-12 Science Newsletter - https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NCSBE/bulletins/26a3d38
If you haven’t done so, please sign up for NewsELA. PLEASE use your GOOGLE @scsnc.org email. Here is the sign-up link https://newsela.com/join/#/school/67484. If you have already signed up, no worries.
We are working out some kinks to Scootpad, more information coming soon.
Please be mindful of School and District Resources. As mentioned before, please add resources into Learning Activities, as much as possible. If you’re having sign-in issues, please let me know ASAP.
December 2-6, 2019- Middle School Math I(YL)-Checkin 1
December 2-December 13, 2019- 1st Semester Writing Assessment Window
December 2 - Staff Meeting
December 3 - Meet the Coaches' Night 6pm in Cafteria
December 4 - Progress Reports
December 4 - Boy'sBasketball Jamboree @ HOME
December 4 - Girl's Basketball Jamboree @ West Hoke
December 2-5- 2nd Quarter Common Assessments Window
December 6- ½ day for students / afternoon PD for staff / noon dismissal
December 6- MTSS folder audit
December 6-December 13 -Writing Assessment Window
December 10- Chorus Concert 6:30pm
December 12- 7th/8th Band Concert 6pm
December 11- PBIS Wacky Wednesday Raffle
December 13- TLC
December 13 - Staff Christmas Party (Staff meal /drink covered)
December 16 - SIT Meeting
December 20- ½ Day for Students (noon dismissal)
December 20- PBIS Celebration
December 23-January 1 - Christmas Holidays - NO SCHOOL