Family Link June & July 2023
June & July 2023
Feed Your Body & Your Mind This Summer
Feed your body:
- Breakfast (8-8:30am) and Lunch (11-11:30am) are served at 31 Open Meal Sites throughout the county. Check the flyers below for locations.
- Meals are served at 19 Mobile Meal sites throughout the county. Check the flyers below for locations and times.
Feed your mind:
- Every Thursday at Mobile Meal Sites, pick up a book when you pick up your meal! Books in English and español are donated and distributed by AACPS Library Media Services and Anne Arundel County Public Library.
Dates to Remember
2023-2024 School Calendar Updated
The 2023-2024 school calendar was updated at the May 24, 2023 Board of Education Meeting.
- Schools are now closed on May 14, 2024 for Primary Election Day, not April 23, 2024.
- Four Early Dismissal days for Unity Day were shifted to the preceding Tuesdays.
Preventing the Summer Slide
We want kids to have a fun, relaxing summer, while still maintaining
all they’ve learned during the school year.
How can you help reduce learning loss over the summer?
- Read with your kids - Read, read, read, and read some more. It can be books, magazines, comics, even the back of the cereal box! Just keep reading!
Cook as a family - Cooking uses reading, math, science, history, and more. Learn about how the foods are grown, measure ingredients, and look up the history and culture of the foods.
Visit local sites - Learn about the history of Maryland and the United States right in our own backyard. We have many historical sites in our county and around the state. Watch our rich history come to life by visiting local historical sites!
Set realistic goals - We want our kids to maintain what they've learned and be ready for school, but we also want them to enjoy summer! Choose goals they can reach and use incentives to help them achieve those goals (sticker charts, ice cream, fun days, etc.)!
Family Academy Videos to Support Summer Reading
The Office of Elementary Reading and Integrated Literacy has created a video library of reading activities that can be used in the home to support and strengthen literacy skills. Each video includes instructions for the activity, a list of materials if needed, and an explanation of how the activity can improve your child's reading abilities.
Take a look at the videos included in Family Academy:
Top 10 Tips for Reading with your Child
Fountas & Pinnell vs. Dibels
Hand Bump Blending
Reading Words, Phrases, & Sentences
Trick Word Dash
Trick Word Tic Tac Toe
For more family resources, reading and literacy tips, visit the Elementary Reading & Integrated Literacy site.
Anne Arundel County Public Library
Summer Reading @ Your Library
Summer Reading Lists, compiled in conjunction with Anne Arundel County Public Schools.
Track Your Reading for rewards and prizes!
A Sample of Events:
- Have Library Card, Will Travel - Take a photo of yourself and your AACPL card for a chance to win prizes!
- Books! The Magic is Real - Magician Joe Romano weaves magic with storytelling.
- EcoAdventures: Calling all Animal Rescuers - Work together to help save our animal friends.
- The ABCs of Hip Hop - Baba Bomani uses rhythm and rhyme to help with reading and math.
- And So Much More!
Be a Tourist in Your Own State
The Maryland Office of Tourism has many ideas of family-friendly things to do in Maryland.
Check out all our state has to offer this summer - penguins, ponies, rollercoasters, and historic sites galore!