Clothing for Toddlers
- flamable fabric
- As far as untreated fabrics go, 100-percent wool and silk tend to be less combustible -- and more breathable -- than acrylics, cotton-polyester blends and rayon, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
- Choose flexible kicks -- try bending them in half before buying -- that provide just a little wiggle room for the toes. Avoid buying oversized shoes, as they may lead to painful trips. Look for strong traction to prevent slipping and go with laces to prevent your child from taking her shoes off when you're not looking. Turn socks inside-out to check for toe-tangling threads before you put them on your toddler.
- Before you dress your tyke, check her clothes for loose buttons, fasteners or accessories and snip any wild threads, which may get wrapped around tiny digits.
Know exactly what type of clothing to look for: soft, breathable fabrics, tagless, covered elastic bands, no metal parts, no heavy embroidery or applique.Sometimes the only way to get a child to wear any shoes at all is to allow sandals or flip-flops. But there’s a downside. I’ve known many children over the years who refuse to give up their sandals at the end of summer. If he wears warmer fleece pajamas, he gets sweaty and wakes up because of the wetness. I finally solved the problem by having him wear his usual cotton knit pajamas with a footed fleece sleeper on top. The breathable cotton fabric prevented the clamminess on his skin, and the fleece sealed in his warmth, and he started sleeping through the night.
- Gross motor - walking, running, climbing
- Fine motor - feeding themselves, drawing
- Sensory - seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, and smelling
- Language - saying single words, then sentences
- Social - playing with others, taking turns, doing fantasy play
- His posture will change, as well, during this time. His pudgy, babyish look as a toddler has been partly due to his posture, particularly his protruding abdomen and inwardly curving lower back. But as his muscle tone improves and his posture becomes more erect, he’ll develop a longer, leaner, stronger appearance.
- The warm setting is great for darks and permanent press clothing. It helps reduce color bleeding in the wash.
- Try to use the cold water setting for delicate items.
- Keep in mind that cool and cold water can be used in the rinse cycle for almost every load of laundry.