April 9th - 13th
- PARCC testing grades 3/4
Tuesday, April 10th
- D39 Special Board of Ed Meeting, MEC, 6 pm
Wednesday, April 11th
- 4th grade parent Outdoor Education meeting, 6:30 pm
Monday, April 16th
- 4th grade student Music Showcase at HMS
- Dr. Kick’s April Birthday Lunch
Wednesday, April 18th
- PTO meeting, 9:00 am
Thursday, April 19th
- Early Release-Parent/Teacher Conferences (11:55 1st-4th, no AM kindergarten and PM kindergarten attends 8:35-10:00 AM)
Friday, April 20th
- No School-Parent/Teacher Conferences
Monday, April 23rd
- D39 Board of Ed, MEC, 7-9 pm
Wednesday, April 25th
- 4th Grade Concert, 9:30 am
- Kindergarten Orientation, 6:30 pm
Friday, April 27th
- Arbor Day tree planting with 3rd and 4th graders
- PTO Movie Night Featuring Ferdinand, 6 pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Students who are a part of Wilmette Park District After School Recreation and students that have a sibling in PM kindergarten will be eligible for supervision on Fridays from 2:15-3:15 for the 2018-19 school year. Sign-up information will be sent in August with "back to school information".
- Information about the last day of school will be shared at the April Board of Education meeting.
There is still time to register for Summer Enrichment! Late registration is open until May 4th! During this time there will be a $9.00 late registration fee per class.
Back by popular demand...
Harper PTO Movie Night presents:
All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to come enjoy this classic tale about a gentle bull.
It going to be a TON of fun!
Join us in the auditorium:
Friday, April 27, 2017
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
Sign up here by Friday, April 20th
$15 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
All children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. NO DROP OFFS.
We request that cell phones and other devices be left at home. Thanks!
Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up here
- Attention former students of Miss Kathy Hofschield (and parents of students). Kathy is retiring at the end of this year. She has been teaching Kindergarten & 1st grade in D39 since 1991. Please consider writing a letter wishing her well with your memories of her and how she has impacted your life. Email letters to email@example.com, or drop off at the Harper School front desk.
- Will your child receive his/her yearbook in June? It's not too late to order...click here.
- Time is running out, but it's not too late to get involved and be on the PTO next year! There are a few opportunities left- don't miss out! We are looking for a President Elect to serve on the Exec Board. We are also looking for the following: Committee Board Members: Community Review Committee (1 spot), Directory & Membership (1 spot), Enrichment for 4th grade (2 spots- grab a friend!), Harper Hoedown (many open spots- this is a well oiled machine by now!), Jr. Great Books (2 spots), Nominating for 2019/20 PTO Board, Parent Social (1 spot), School Kits (1 spot), Box Tops (1 spot), Yearbook Assistants (a few spots). Please contact Arielle Heneghan if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org. Giving a little actually gives a lot!
- Ready, set, GROW…with the Harper Garden Club! Garden Club is an 8-week club beginning Monday, April 9th and continuing each Monday until June 4th. The Garden Club meets from 3:15-4:30pm. The sign up opens on the Harper PTO website on Tuesday, March 20th and costs $80. Space is limited to first 12 students. For more info, contact Ali Straitiff at email@example.com.
- The District 39 Educational Foundation is hosting a family event fundraiser with a viewing of a classic movie at the Wilmette Theatre (1122 Central Ave.) on Sunday, April 15th at 3 pm. Celebrate “The Princess Bride” with the whole family and support Wilmette’s public schools at the same time! Featuring a costume contest before the show. Dress up as one of your favorite characters to add to the fun!
- Attention all 4th grade parents! Please join us on Wednesday, May 2nd at 7pm in the HMS auditorium for a 4th to 5th grade transition question and answer session. The panel is made up of current HMS parents along with HMS Administration. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Upcoming dates in April:
- 10th--High Touch High Tech visits 1st Grade with their “What’s the Matter?” program
- 17th--Illustrator David Lee Csiszko visits 1st Grade
- 26th--SWANCC visits Kindergarten
- 27th--Griffin’s Tale theater group performance, K-4
- On April 10th, First Graders will experience hands-on science with the "What's the Matter” program, led by High Touch High Tech. They will find out how matter really matters! They will have great fun as they explore the different types of matter, take part in a molecular cohesion race and create a density bottle. This Enrichment series is brought to you by iGNITE!
- On Thursday April 26th, Kindergarteners will have the "Taking Care of Our Earth" presentation. The Solid Waste Agency of of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) will give the presentation.. Concepts include the environmental R's - Reduce - Reuse - Recycle - Respect and Responsibility. Many visual aids are used to highlight each concept. Thanks to IGNITE!
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Family Action Network (FAN)
- Monday, April 9th- Sam Quinones: "Dreamland: America's Opiate Epidemic and How We Got Here" , 7PM with Special Guest Discussants Admiral James A. "Sandy" Winnefeld, Jr. and Mary Winnefeld Evanston Township High School Auditorium 1600 Dodge Ave., Evanston.
- Tuesday, April 10th- Sam Quinones: Grand Rounds Presentation - FREE CEUs for clinicians! "Doctors, Drug Companies, Isolation, and Our Epidemic of Opioid Addiction", 9:00-10:30 AM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield - Register for CEUs at www.familyactionnetwork.net.
- Thursday, April 12th-Ted Dintersmith, Ph.D.: "What School Could Be: Insights and Inspiration from Teachers Across America"#1 12PM Loyola University Chicago School of Law 25 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 RSVP @ familyactionnetork.net #2 7PM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield.
- Thursday, April 20th- Wendy Mogel, Ph.D. "Voice Lessons for Parents: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Listen", 7PM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield.
- Tuesday, April 24th- Dan Pink #1: "When: The Science of Perfect Timing" 4PM Loyola University Chicago School of Law 25 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 RSVP @ www.familyactionnetwork.net #2: "When: The Science of Perfect Timing" 7PM Glen bard South High School Auditorium 23W200 Butterfield Rd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
- Wednesday, April 25th- Dan Pink #3: Grand Rounds Presentation - FREE CEUs for clinicians! "Drive: What Motivates Us" 9:00-10:30 AM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield Register for CEUs @ www.familyactionnetwork.net #4: "When: The Science of Perfect Timing", 7PM North Shore Country Day School Auditorium 310 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka RSVP @ www.familyactionnetwork.net
- Monday, April 30th- Rachel Simmons "Enough As She Is: How to Help Girls Move Beyond Impossible Standards of Success to Live Healthy, Happy and Fulfilling Lives" Mon, April 30, 7PM Regina Dominican High School Auditorium 701 Locust Rd, Wilmette.
FREE Adult English Language Classes will be offered at Highcrest Middle School for 5 weeks; April 5-May 3rd.-see attached flyer
Wilmette Public Library’s "One Book, Everybody Reads" featuring Amor Towles discussing his best-selling novel A Gentleman in Moscow at WJHS Auditorium April 22nd at 3:00 pm
Check out The School of the Art Institute Summer Art Camp options for kids (and families) ages 4-18 (see attached flyer)
Little Legends Soccer Academy offers soccer training for boys & girls ages 2-8.
Wilmette Baseball Spring House League registration is open.
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org