Third Grade Buzzzz...
Happenings in Mrs. Paluch's Class!
May 2, 2016
STAR Testing This Week!
Students will take the Math Star Test Tuesday afternoon and the Reading Star Test Thursday morning.
I was so amazed and impressed with the 3rd grade musical. The entire class worked so hard and they gave an awesome performance. We have a talented group of 3rd graders!
ELA- (English/Language Arts)
Unit 3 Module A
We will be doing the Performance Based Assessment (PBA) for this module Monday and Tuesday. Kids will write an opinion paper about which text, Storm in the Night or Knots on a Counting Rope has a more powerful central message.
We will do the next module over these last weeks of school.
Unit 3 Module B
Reading Essential Question: How do readers use text structures and features to better comprehend texts?
Writing Essential Question: How do writers introduce and develop a topic with facts, details, and linking words?
Focus This Week:
- We will read the book, Weather and determine main ideas and details. This book has a lot of new factual information about weather.
- See how cause and effect is used in scientific texts.
- Ask and answer questions about a text.
- Use illustrations and words to understand text.
- Syllable Pattern VCCCV- con/trast, dis/trict, back/yard
- Kids will take notes on information that they are learning through the Weather book we are reading. They will convey ideas and information.
- Decide which details to use to explain a topic.
- Functions of adverbs in a sentence.
Lessons this week:
- Hands-on lesson to learn about angles
- Hands-on lesson to explore triangles and their angles
Homework This Week
Monday 5/2- 14.1
Tuesday 5/3- 14.2
Wednesday 5/4- 14.3
Thursday 5/5 14.4
Below is a link to a good website with a lot of math games! We are currently working on geometry, but they should continue to work on multiplication/division and fractions too!
May 2- Wear your favorite baseball hat
May 3- PJ Day and kids can bring a stuffed animal
May 3- Math Star Test
May 4- Ride Your Bike to School!
May 5- Dress Up Day
May 5- Reading Star Test
May 6- Reading Lounge Poster Contest Entry Due
May 6- Book Order Due
May 9- Field Trip- Little White Schoolhouse
May 9-11- Book Fair