FEMEA News Update
Sliding into Summer
Florida Elementary Music Educators Association
The mission of the Florida Elementary Music Education Association is to unite and support educators in order to provide a high quality, comprehensive music education for all children.
All-State Preparation - It's not too soon
All-State Elementary Chorus preparation can begin early, too. The prepared pieces, "Are You Sleeping" and "America" and the rubrics are posted online now. The tonal memories will be ready August 1 when the 2017-2018 Teacher Packet becomes available . You and your students are just a click away:
July 22, 2017, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm; Morgridge Reading Center, University of Central Florida
Connie Van Engen, Clinician
“Improvisation is central to the Orff Schulwerk approach and provides students with opportunities to create and grow as musicians. As an educator, planning improvisational experiences for students can be intimidating. Through active participation, collaboration, personal reflection and group discussion, we will explore several structures designed to move students from imitation and exploration to improvisation."
Connie Van Engen is the music specialist at Bell Prairie Elementary, where she teaches K-5th grade students and conducts the Wind Song Choir. Connie received her Orff Schulwerk certification from Hamline University and apprenticed with Elaine Larson at George Mason University. Connie is the Level II pedagogy instructor in the Orff Schulwerk Teacher Education Courses at Trinity University in San Antonio, TX, and Baker University in Kansas. She has served as AOSA Region III representative and recording Secretary. In 2013 Connie was named the North Kansas City School District’s Teacher of Distinction. She is a soprano in the Kansas City Symphony Chorus. Connie and her husband, Ken, share their 100-year-old house in Kansas City with an Old English Sheepdog named Addy.
FEMEA Summer Conference
Saturday, July 22nd, 9am-3pm
UCF: Morgridge International Reading Center, Orlando, FL, United States
On-site registration: $45
Free continental breakfast is included.
Lunch is available for pre-order at $12:
- Nutty Mixed-Up Salad Box:Grilled, 100% antibiotic-free chicken breast, grapes, organic apples, cranberry-walnut mix, organic field greens and feta with balsamic vinaigrette.
- Croissant Club Box: Nitrite-free ham, roasted turkey breast, bacon, cheddar, Swiss, leafy lettuce and tomato on an all-butter croissant. Chips, pickle.
- Turkey Wrap Box: Roasted turkey breast, fresh-made guacamole, Roma tomatoes and organic field greens in an organic wheat wrap. Served with a side of freshmade ranch dressing. Fresh fruit or baked chips.
- Spinach Veggie Wrap Box: Organic wheat wrap filled with organic spinach, fresh-made guacamole and pico de gallo, mushrooms and Asiago. Served with a side of fresh-made salsa. baked chips.
- Gluten-Sensitive Traditional Box: Roasted turkey breast, leafy lettuce, tomato on gluten-free bread. Served with chips, pickle and an Udi’s® gluten-free Snickerdoodle Cookie.
Hilton Garden Inn Orlando East
1959 N. Alafaya Trail, Orlando, Florida, 32826
Reserve Your Room Here or call 1-866-311-6110 and request the FL Elementary Music Educators group.
Discounted rate expires June 21st!
- eligibility to apply for professional development scholarships
- eligibility to apply for grants for your classroom
- All-State Elementary Chorus and Orff Ensemble eligibility for your students
- outstanding professional development with nationally recognized music educators
- a network of music educators who specialize in elementary music teaching