Types Of Serology
Types of Serology"Serology is split into two categories of investigation:
- Presumptive Testing: These tests provide two separate means of producing a result. One is to use compounds that can have an effect on blood when introduced to it. These results are a simple and quick way of proving that samples are actually blood especially if time is of the essence.
- Confirmatory Tests: This is a more involved set of tests that are carried out using samples of what is believed to be blood and mixing them with a chemical compound that reacts adversely with haemoglobin, the resultant factor being the production of crystals under the microscope that can be identified as blood."-http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/serology.html
How is serology used in Forensics?
One important aspect of Serology is determining whether or not stains resembling blood found at a crime scene are actually blood or some other stain that bears a similar resemblance"
Requirements for gaining a job in serology
- "Bachelor’s of Science degree in a biology, chemistry, forensic science, or related area, completed coursework in areas of biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, and statistics or population genetics;
- and five (5) years of forensic laboratory experience.
- Certifications, specific skills, knowledge, and related experience will be considered.
- Experience with a laboratory information management system is desired.
- Valid "Class D" driver's license."
A woman named Nicole was dead lying in a pool of blood. Next to her was a left hand glove that had a blood stain on it. Investigators went to OJ Simpson's house to look for more evidence. They noticed blood on Simpson's car and drips leading from the car to the front door of his house. While searching his house they found Nicole's bloody sock and the missing right hand glove with both of their blood on it.
Serology was used in this case to find out who the blood belonged to and to see if Simpson was a possible suspect.
Even though the blood matched Simpson's and they had all the serology evidence to prove that he murdered Nicole, his legal team was one of the best and after a 9 month long trial, he was cleared of the murder.