Earth's Atmosphere & Hydrosphere
Grace Boyd, Kaley Barfield, and Kaylee Villareal
3. How do the geosphere and the lithosphere differ?
4. What are the main gases in Earth’s atmosphere, and their respective proportions today?
Nitrogen (78%) and Oxygen (21%) are the main gasses.
5. Describe the hypothesized first atmospheric gases on Earth.
Hydrogen and Helium
They were probably lost to space early in Earth’s history because:
Earth’s gravity could not hold in the lighter gasses
- Earth still did not have a differentiated core which creates Earth’s magnetic field which deflects solar winds
11. Describe two processes that produce oxygen in our planet?
Photochemical dissociation is the process where water molecules are broken up by ultraviolet radiation, and then the oxygen from the water molecules evaporate into the air.
12. What processes consume oxygen on our planet?
Chemical weathering consumes oxygen through oxidation of surface materials, animal respiration, and burning of fossil fuels.