Ancient Greek Drama
WHAT TO KNOW
Comedy and tragedy
Tragedy is a form of Greek drama where a very noble, important person struggles to overcome difficulty, but in the end fails and meets an unhappy ending.
Fun facts about greek drama
• Drama evolved from a chant men did to honor Dionysus
• A man named Thespis was the first person to speak individually at a festival and he influenced the beginning of acting.
• There were 2 drama festivals held each year in Athens.
• Ancient Greek audiences would stomp their feet instead of clapping.
• Greek actors always used masks to perform.
• The masks had megaphone style mouths to project the voices of the actors.