By: Mike Hulcy
What is it?
NML Cyngi is a star. A star is a flaming ball of gas. This star is classified as a red hypergiant. It is the biggest star known to man!
How big is it?
- Largest known star
- 1,650 times the sun
- 2,295,000,000 kilometers diameter
Distance from the sun
- 5,300 light yearslight years
- 270,000 L☉
- Discovered in 1965, by Neugebauer, Martz, and Leighton
- NML stands for the names of the 3 astronomers
Mass and Color
- 32.5 Solar mass
- 1,148,000,000 km radius
- 1650 times the radius of the sun
- 4.5 billion times the mass of the sun
- If NML Cyngi was placed at the center of our solar system, it would reach as far out as Jupiter's orbit!