Fill yer sails with the amazing work of ye mateys at NP3!
October 31, 2013
AMAZING THINGS ARE HAPPENING - UNPACKING
Unpacking has been described by students as "a way for us to know what to expect on our assessment" and as "...useful because it gives us time to look at what things we will be learning." Students are viewing this process as important, too! SpringBoard describes unpacking as a process for students to identify what they need to know and be able to do. Opening a unit with unpacking allows students an opportunity to create a connection between what they know and where they are headed in their learning. It also creates transparency and exposure to concepts and expectations of their learning. Some of the ways teachers are using unpacking are: 1) circling skills and underlining concepts with a follow up debrief of each, 2) reviewing and unpacking the assessment as a whole group or splitting the assessment into parts for each group to unpack and share, 3) allowing students to fill out strips or organizers and be part of the final unpacking visual on display.
Whatever the variation of how unpacking is accomplished, the idea that students are learning about what they need to know and be able to do is a great way to start the unit! Way to get in deep with unpacking!
Unpacking in Classes
Topics and concepts to come in 8th grade math.
Skills are listed in blue and knowledge for each skill is described in green.
Use unpacking for a topic other than an assessment. What else can be unpacked?
NP3 Announcements Mateys!
For Teachers Only:
- WASC! Anzelc and Edwards will be working on WASC every Friday from now until Dec 6.
- Library! Our library was made possible by Nancy! Help give her thanks for her dedication to making the library work for our students.
- NP3 Website! Don't forget to check out the student blog and share with your advisees! It can be found on the "beyond the classroom" tab.
- Activity Sign-Ups! If you are in need of switching an activity, please find your replacement.
- AIC! AIC's are scheduled for Nov. 20th –start to think about who may be an invite.
- Advisory! Observations will continue in Advisory.
- Save the date! Staff Holiday Party Saturday Dec 7th at 3pm at David’s
- Sunshine Fiesta Lunch! Come join Sunshine for lunch before PD-meet in the staff lounge right after school!
- Pirate Rally! No enrichment, bring your advisory down to the gym at 2:20.
- Career Fair! Is Nov 7th-7th will have a schedule, 6th and 8th will be all afternoon advisory. NO INTERVENTION.
- 8th grade Hearing Screening! Nov 7th-Run through PE & Sci, please see the schedule in Outlook.
Share with Advisees:
- 6th grade Cookie Dough Fundraiser is going on for Science Camp
- Game night is Nov 15th, so is the Cultural Day Rally
- 6th grade Jamba Juice Sale for Sci Camp Nov 22nd @ lunch
- KCRA Kids Can Canned Food Drive 10/23-11/15-advisory that collects the most will win a pizza party!