Pratt's Primary Corner
Weekly Update- August 17, 2018
Week at a Glance
We spent the first two days getting to know each other and building our classroom culture. My number one goal for the week is to make every student feel welcome and loved when they walk through the door each day. I work really hard to build a classroom culture where students respect one another and feel comfortable.
The first two days of school were AWESOME! Here were some of our favorite activities:
- "Mr. Lemoncello" locked one of his favorite books in a box. We had to solve puzzles and find clues around the room to unlock it. We worked together so well and got the box open with 6 minutes to spare! Our first read aloud chapter book this year is Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library.
- We did a "rock paper scissors" competition with Mrs. Callahan's class after reading The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors. The winners kept finding new winners to face, until there was one final winner. The losing students followed the winners around and cheered for them. We've enjoyed building our classroom community. :)
- We did our first Design Challenge! We worked in groups to create a newspaper shoe for Miss Pratt. When we were finished, Miss Pratt modeled them and Mrs. Callahan voted on her favorite.
- We started discussing our Community of Learners through our first two Bridges math lessons. We made glyphs to represent ourselves and how we feel about math. We put that information in a graph and compared it.
Please remember we are a Nut Free Room, a safe-snack list went home on Meet the Teacher Night, but if you need to see that again, please click here.
If you would like to send in extra snacks from the safe snack list for those who don't have a snack, you are more than welcome to.
- Genius Hour (every Wednesday- sign up genius will be coming out in a few weeks)
- Science experiments (an email will come out when needed)
There will be many opportunities for you to come visit the classroom for projects and presentations.
Captain Fluffy Winkle
Think about Numbers
Each of us came up with many ways to represent one of our August dates to put in the calendar. I loved the way all of the students were thinking flexibly about numbers!
Miss Pratt modeled the shoes students created using only newspaper and masking tape. My favorite part was how all the shoes looked different, but they all met the constraints.
Students worked together to create a shoe using only newspaper and masking tape. It may look like just fun and games but we were problem solvers, creators, mistake makers, and collaborators.
Think about Numbers
Writing with Captain
Students work on a writing prompt around the room. Many wanted to work by Captain Fluffy Winkle. :)
Rock Paper Scissors Challenge
If you haven't read the book The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors, I highly recommend it! We read the book and then had our own rock, paper, scissors challenge.
We received a mysterious letter today and students solved puzzles and used clues around the room to open several locked boxes. Inside the final box we found our first read aloud book, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library.