Hg - 80
*Mercury is known as quicksilver.
*It is the only metal that is a liquid.
*Mercury is heavy and silvery-white.
*Poor conductor of heat.
*Fair conductor of electricity.
- Used in Thermometers.
- Mercury switches.
- Florescent lamps.
- Float valves.
History of mercury
- Mercury was known to ancient Chinese and Hindus before 2000 BC and was found in tubes in Egyptian tombs dated from 1500 BC.
- It is named after the planet Mercury.
- Mercury's chemical symbol, Hg, comes from the Greek "hydrargyrum" meaning liquid silver.
- It was in the mining of the element where mercury first became associated with human illness beginning as tremors and progressing to severe mental derangement.
- The Romans used their mercury mines as penal institutions for criminals, slaves, and other undesirables.