Lincoln Lion's Local Buzz
November 15, 2019
Zahner and Sheppard out Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday
We will have people in the office to support and keep the school afloat the days we are out:
Monday: Misty Keller and Jennifer Wyatt will be in the office for support.
Tuesday: Lamar Smith and Leanne Taliaferro will be in the office for support
Wednesday: Lamar Smith and Krystal McReynolds will be in the office for support.
For the Behavior team please note that on Monday we'll have Stokely and Way to help and on Tuesday and Wednesday we will have Music and Way supporting.
I truly feel that we will be fine and a building and that all will be will, but just in case we have two folks in the office supporting, ASC is aware that we may need assistance if we call them, and we have the best staff in the district who will pitch in where needed.
If you are on duty next week we thank you for being on time and in your spot for the designated time. Students doing morning announcements will report to Ms. Sheppard's office --where Wyatt, Taliaferro, and McReynolds will be--to do announcements with them. And afternoon duty should be fine with everyone supporting.
It will be a great week, the full moon has passed, and we are covered and ready for whatever the world will throw at us next week!
Neglect and Brain Research
Reminders for CICO
- The team member who reenters a child into the classroom will stay as long as they are able to transition kids in/there is evidence that the child is ready and is integrated into what the class is doing at the time of reentry with success. It will look different for different kids. Sometimes we will just stay with the particular student, other times we will walk around and be complimentary to to the students. Unless there is an emergency and we must leave, the behavior team is committed to being a supportive reentry person for the student who was struggling.
- At the end of each period of time when teachers are recording points on the behavior chart, be sure that the conversation that you have with your child is private and specific to them and their behaviors in your class. We discussed a great example of how a teacher made a point to ensure that her time with a student at the end of class was personal and private. When they were talking about the student's behavior in class, another student came up and stood next to the teacher while she was talking to the student. The teacher politely turned to that student and said, this is a private conversation, can you please give us space. The other child willingly complied. This kind of action shows the student who is part of the CICO conversation that you value them and want to keep the conversions personal and private.
Speaking of, If child is not in a place to hear about their behavior during the block of time you have them, do not force the conversation. While we want students to be able to listen to feedback and reflect with you about it, we all know there are times when a student is in the red zone and not able to talk to you about what happened in class. While you will always attempt to have a private conversation with each student regarding their behavior, if a child is not available to listen to you, do not force the issue. Mark the T on the chart. You can let the child know that you are available when they are ready to talk about today's class if they want to. You are holding them accountable for their behavior by the spread sheet, but with respect that at this time they are not ready to talk about it. Since the "T: will be record on the sheet, the person the student checks out with will discuss that portion of their day with them and debrief. Forcing a child to discuss something when they are not willing to listen is counter productive. A conversation will happen...but when the student is ready if they can't at the end of a class. We know this is not the majority of the time, but was something that a teacher brought up to our team to discuss and we wanted to share our thoughts on the matter.
Thank You Grams
Please take time next week to have students reflect on one, or more if they would like, people in their lives who they are thankful for. Encourage them to think about all the people in their lives here at school and at home. Their bus driver, the cafeteria workers, the custodians, teachers, IAs, student teachers, administration, volunteers, etc. Think big and enjoy giving thanks to those in our lives who impact us daily. Students can begin to give them to whom they want to thank starting Monday November 25th. It is important for students to be part of the moment when a person is thanked by them for impacting their lives. Please make an effort to have the students give the grams in person if at all possible. It means a great deal to the giver of the gram as well as the receiver.
Nutcracker Performances in December
Marsha will need to know the number of students and adults for your grade/class. Thank you for getting that information to Marsha ASAP if you are interested in going to the Nutcracker this year.
NO CLUBS THIS WEEK
Thank you for your flexibility!
- Faculty meeting with Michael Hubbard in Library for teachers grades Prek-5 and Sped; Related Arts teachers will be in the conference room working on PLC work.
- Leigh Anne and Suzanne are OUT.
- NO CLUBS--we have rescheduled
- MULTIPLE teachers out for ELA training--See Judy's emails regarding subs
- Spark 3:30-5:00--Gym
- Leigh Anne and Suzanne are OUT
- Leigh Anne and Suzanne are OUT
- RTI Data meetings in Conference Room 8:25-3:10 (Grade Level Planning)
- Smile 3rd Thursday event --3:30-5:00--Art room --see Master Calendar for further info
- Leigh Anne and Suzanne are BACK!!!!
- Kindergarten Thanksgiving Program/Family Engagement-- 6:30-7:30 --Auditorium
- Spark 3:30-5:00 Auditorium
- Clubs 9:00-9:45--various classrooms
- Faculty Meeting--3:40-5:00--Standard Overview --ELA in Library --Math in Pike's classroom
- All, please pass along to pertinent staff regarding Canvas updates: New Gradebook: will be enabled for all users in January 2020 -Documentation for teachers - Passport to Canvas: New free Canvas orientation course for students (available in the Commons - https://lor.instructure.com/resources/bc0e43d31fbd4eccbfbefbd6217de6ef) - New Analytics: Enabled now for all users. New Analytics provides a richer analytics experience for course grades, weekly online activity, and individual student view. - New Training Portal (self-directed): The new Training Portal is available through the Help menu. It includes free training material for users.
K-2 Science Professional Learning Opportunities - Next Sessions begin in December
The second part of each session from 3:30-5:00 PM is optional. However, these are the portions of the sessions that will be make and take workshop type sessions. Please let me know if a list of materials or necessary resources results from the sessions that we may need to purchase.