What is Kleptomania?
- Kleptomania is an impulse control disorder characterized by a recurrent failure to resist stealing.
- There is no known cause of kleptomania
- Depression, anxiety, eating disorders and substance abuse disorders are common in individuals with kleptomania
- Repeated thefts and crimes
- Increasing tension immediately before the theft
- Stealing unnecessary items
- The theft is not out of anger or revenge
- There is not a cure for kleptomania. But there are some medications and therapies such as cognitive-behavioral therapy that can help.