The official newsletter of Farragut Intermediate School
August 19, 2019
Grade Level Parent Nights
Thank you to all the parents who joined us for the Third and Fourth Grade Parent Nights.We invite the parents of fifth grade students to an informational meeting about the upcoming school year.
- 5th-Grade - Tuesday, Aug. 20th at 6:00
The meeting will start in the cafeteria. We hope you can join us for this informative session.
During all the grade level meetings, the teachers will share a video from our counselors discussing the topic of bullying. Attached is the graphic presented during that video.
Please make every effort to have your child at school everyday and on time. School starts at 7:45. Therefore, please be sure your child is walking through the front doors by 7:30. This allows time for him/her to settle in to class without feeling rushed. If your child is sick or needs to miss school, you must send in a note explaining the absence.
The following outlines the Knox County School Board Policy on attendance:
In order to be counted present on any and all accounting attendance records, students in grades 1-12 shall attend school for a time period of three (3) hours and thirty (30) minutes per school day. Students who attend less than three (3) hours and thirty (30) minutes per school day will be recorded and reported as absent on any and all attendance records.
Excusable reasons for student absences:
- Personal Illness
- Illness in the family temporarily requiring help from the child
- Death in the family
- Recognized religious holidays observed by persons of the student's faith.
- Verifiable family emergencies.
Excuses for absences must be made in writing to the principal or administrative designee by a parent or guardian. Written excuses must be submitted within five (5) days of the student's return to school. Any absence not complying with the above reasons for excused absences will be considered unexcused. An example of an unexcused absence would be family vacations taken during the school year.
Pick Ups and Drop Offs
Our building opens at 7:00 AM each morning. If students arrive before 7:30, they will go to their designated area in the building:
- 3rd grade in the gym
- 4th grade in the cafeteria
- 5th grade in the hallways outside of their rooms
** IMPORTANT: If you are dropping off by car, please pull all the way around the circle to the farthest cone to drop off your child. This helps the traffic move more quickly.
Breakfast is served in the cafeteria beginning at 7:10.
After the 7:30 bell, students make their way to the classrooms. All students should be in their classrooms by 7:45.
If you are picking up your child through the car line, please be sure to have your hang tag visible. If you do not have a hang tag, please come to the office with your ID to check out your child.
Grade Level Homework
Parents, we strive to keep homework at a minimum:
- Third grade students should have no more than a total of 30 minutes a day
- Fourth grade should have no more than 40-50 minutes a day
- Fifth grade should have no more than 60 minutes a day - total for all three subjects.
If students are unable to complete homework within the given time frames, parents/guardians can draw a line and sign the page.
Forms to Return to School
Parents please read the student handbook in the student agenda, sign and return the signature page only to your child's teacher as soon as possible.
Thank you for continuing to return the beginning of year forms and school fees. The following is a list of forms that need to be completed and sent back to school:
- Student Information Verification Form
- Student Handbook Form - found in the student agenda
- Clinic Card
- Student Emergency Card
- Media Form
- Additional Car Tag Request (if needed)
- School Fees ($25) - cash, check, or online payment (online payment information to come)
PTA: Membership Drive and Call for Volunteers
Below is a request from PTA for parent volunteers. Forms are due by Aug. 23rd. The PTA relies on parent volunteers to support our school and we hope that you will consider volunteering.
Farragut Intermediate School Orchestra is getting ready to start another wonderful season on Tuesday, September 10th. Meeting times are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00pm-3:45pm.
Information and permission forms are available in the front office. Please make sure that the forms are signed and returned by Friday, September 6th.
Please contact Kelsey Sexton with any questions!
Special Note Regarding Celebrations
Dates to Remember
- Aug. 5- Sept. 5 - PTA Membership Drive
- Aug. 20 - 5th Grade Parent Night (6:00) meet in the cafeteria
- Aug. 21 - Boy Scouts Parent Meeting (6:30)
- Aug. 27 - Student Holiday - no school for students
- Aug. 29 - Girl Scouts Parent Meeting (6:00-8:00)
- Sept. 2 - Labor Day (no school)
- Sept. 6 - 3rd Grade Grandparents' Day (more information to come)
- Sept. 10 - STEM Scouts Parent Meeting (6:30)
- Sept. 12 - Coupon Book Kick-Off
- Sept. 13 - All Pro Dads - Music Room (7:00-7:30)