Newsletter 14 November 2022
St Joseph's Catholic School Onehunga
We opened and blessed our new school playground on Wednesday and students are loving the new challenges it brings.
Playgrounds are the place life long habits begin, they are the place memories, friendships and community are created.
We have a tremendous amount of people in our community to thank for the creation of our new playground
the students, for telling us what they like in the playground. For their fundraising efforts and for their service. Many of our students have worked alongside their parents as the old playground was demolished; learning about service and community and creating friendships along the way
our parent community; a huge thank you. Fundraising, meeting, planning, problem solving and a CAN DO IT attitude has contributed to what we have today.
Local funding agencies; Fourwinds trust, Pub charities, Trillion trust, Grassroots; who alongside our PTFA have all provided the money for us to create our playground for our St Joseph’s tamariki.
Our previous playground provided joy for 30 years to our tamariki, we want this playground to do the same for the next 30 years.
We pray that our new playground will nurture friendships, joy and community
In light of the recent increase in cases throughout New Zealand we are closely monitoring case number trends in our community and if numbers are increasing.
- a reminder to stay at home if unwell
- consider wearing mask use in higher risk settings
- get booster vaccine doses, if eligible
- let the school know if your child test positive for COVID - 19
Should the number of cases increase, we will reinstate weekly reporting of numbers to our community as we did in Term 1.
Travelwise - GOLD AWARD
Travelwise is a Auckland Transport (AT) innovative programme to make school travel safer, healthier and more fun.
AT works with primary, intermediate and secondary schools across Auckland to:
- encourage and increase use of active travel modes and public transport.
- provide safer facilities for all road users.
- reduce congestion around schools.
With Travelwise, schools create individualised Safe School Travel Plans with meaningful visions and practical actions to create a safer and less congested environment outside the school.
St Joseph's have received a GOLD award again this year for the work it does. Many thanks to Mrs Lawrence and the Travelwise team for the service they do for our school.
These lunches align with national food and nutrition guidelines, so your child is getting a good healthy FREE lunch every day.
Please only provide your child with a healthy morning tea (a piece of fruit).
We are very concerned with the amount of food wastage and unhealthy food being sent in school lunch boxes.
School Mass - Sunday 27 November
We welcome enrolments for 2023. If you have a child or know of a child due to start school in 2023 please ensure they are enrolled. It is essential we know who is wanting to join our school whanau and when.
Enrolment packs are available from the school office or can be downloaded from the school website. https://sjs.school.nz/enrolment-2/
- Chess - 16 November
- Athletics Day - 17 November
- Piano lessons - 17/18 November
- Sacraments of Initiation - 20 November
- Rainbows End (Rm 9, 10, 11) - 21 November
- Chess - 23 November
- Rocket ropes/ Butterfly creek (Rm 9, 10, 11) - 23 November
- Piano lessons - 24/25 November
- PARISH/ SCHOOL MASS - 27 November
- Overnight Retreat (Rm 9, 10, 11) - 28/29 November
- CHRISTMAS CARNIVAL - 9 December
- SCHOOL PRIZEGIVING - 13 December
- GRADUATION MASS - 15 December