Family Update OVLC 4K-6th Grade
Information for the week of 4/19- 4/23
2020-2021 OVLC Smore
Thank you for reading our weekly update! Here are some highlights:
- PTO Updates- Week of May 3rd: Teacher Appreciation Week & OVLC Spirit Week!
- OVLC Spiritwear have ARRIVED! You can pick up your items at the East Campus front office.
- 3rd-6th Grade Forward Exam: Day of Test Information
- And MORE!
4K-6th Grade OVLC Principal
April 13th - April 29th... Third - Sixth Grade Forward Exam
May 3rd... No School 4K
May 3rd - 7th... Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3rd - 7th... OVLC Spirit Week
May 28th & 31st... No School- Memorial Day Weekend
June 10th & 11th... No School 4K
June 11th... Last Day of School (1/2 day)
- Teacher Appreciation Week (May 3rd - 7th)
- Spirit Week (May 3rd-7th)
- End of Year Celebrations:
** OVLC 4th Grade Moving on Ceremony (information coming soon!)
The next PTO meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 11th at 7PM.
The PTO would like to support the celebration of our OVLC Staff during Teacher Appreciation Week! Coming Soon: Ideas for how to share gratitude to our teachers!
OVLC Spirit Week: May 3rd - 7th!
Mark Your Calendars: Supply Pick Up
MATERIAL DROP OFF / PICK UP DATES
Location: East Campus (915 E. Summit Ave.)
April 14th (A-M), 15th (N-Z), 16th (extra date)
May 12th (A-M), 13th (N-Z), 14th (extra date)
May 26th (A-M), 27th (N-Z), 28th (extra date)
(4K Pick up dates: 2/26, 3/12, 3/26, 4/16, 4/30, 5/14, 5/28)
Severe Weather Awareness Week Resources
- For Grown-Ups: Talking to Children About Severe Weather
- Ready.gov/kids has games, tips and tools for kids, teens, families and educators, including some resources in Spanish and other languages.
- FEMA’s YouTube channel features a variety of videos for younger kids on severe weather, making a family communications plan and emergency kit and other topics.
- Weather.gov/wrn/spring-safety has a bunch of information, like this video on thunderstorm types, for all ages on tornadoes and other springtime weather hazards.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has created Ready Wrigley PDF activity books in English and Spanish to help kids understand types of extreme weather and to help children learn the importance of being prepared.
Forward Exam (3rd-6th Grade) - When Your Child Takes the Test
Please have your child bring:
- Charged chromebook
- Water bottle
- Small peanut-free snack to eat between tests
- A mouse if your child would like to use one
- Book to read if they finish testing sessions early
Students are not allowed to bring any other electronics, including smartwatches to the testing session. If students bring cellphones, they will need to remain in their backpacks for the entirety of testing.
Students will be seated 6ft apart at individual tables in the East Campus Boardroom for their testing session. Tables and chairs will be cleaned in between the morning and afternoon testing session.
Your teacher will meet you at the main doors at East Campus to check you in for testing.
You may pick your child at the main doors of East Campus at the end of the testing session.
If you have any questions, please email myself, Mrs. Lang, or Liz Schmocker.
Forward Exam: 3rd - 6th Grade State Testing
All Oconomowoc students in grades 3 to 8 and grade 10 will participate in the Wisconsin Forward Exam this spring. This online test is designed to gauge how well students are mastering the Wisconsin Academic Standards in:
- English Language Arts (grades 3-8)
- Math (grades 3-8)
- Science (grades 4, 8)
- Social Studies (grades 4, 8, 10).
OVLC students will take the Forward Exam at OHS East Campus between April 13 and April 29, 2021 (see below for grade level test schedule). Please note that remote testing options are not available for statewide assessments as per the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
Meet Ms. Lamberson, 5th Grade Math & Science
Favorites Parts of Teaching in the OVLC:
My favorite part of teaching in the OVLC is seeing our 5th graders blossom as problem solvers and creative thinkers as they navigate virtual learning! I'm daily impressed by their perseverance and positive attitudes! I've also enjoyed teaming up with so many fantastic educators and parents/guardians to help support the growth of our students!
About Ms. Lamberson’s Teaching Experience:
I began my teaching career in Malaysia where I taught 1st and 5th grade at an international school. After returning to the U.S, I taught 5th and 6th grade math/science in beautiful Door County, WI for 6 years. I joined OASD this school year as the math/science/social studies OVLC 5th grade teacher!
A Bit More About Ms. Lamberson:
I love spending time outdoors going hiking, camping, biking, gardening, or just relaxing with a good book! My family and I enjoy playing games, cooking together, and finding a good movie that'll make us all laugh! Also, I got engaged over spring break and will be moving to Minnesota this summer to be closer to my fiancé and his two children!
Some of Ms. Lamberson’s Favorites:
Favorite beverages: Starbucks coffee and sweet tea
Favorite school supply: Ticonderoga pencils and Paper-Mate flair pens!
Favorite things: Flower/Plant seeds to grow new spring/summer plants or games/puzzles!
Favorite candy: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Skittles
Favorite book genre: historical fiction
Meet Mrs. Fallon, 5th Grade ELA
Top 3 Favorites Parts of Teaching in the OVLC:
- Watching students become more independent thinkers and learners
- Working with a great OVLC team
- Learning about tons of new technology
About Mrs. Fallon’s Teaching Experience:
This is my 8th year of teaching. I have taught in both private and public schools in Wisconsin and Texas. I have taught 1st, 2nd, 6th and 7th English, and STEM as well as worked as a technology integrator. I have loved them all, but this year I am finding that I really enjoy working with middle school students!
A Bit More About Mrs. Fallon:
I live in Delafield with my husband, three year old twins Wesley and Emmersyn and our German Shepherd, Coda. We like to be outside when possible and love to hang out with friends (hopefully more this summer). We enjoy cooking and playing board games together.
Some of Mrs. Fallon’s Favorites:
I love Target, gardening, Chipotle, cooking, and coffee!
Meet Mrs. Mortensen, 6th Grade Math & Science
Top 3 Favorites Parts of Teaching in the OVLC:
- Connecting with the students
- Finding creative ways to engage my students
- The wonderfully collaborative OVLC teaching staff and support people
About Mrs. Mortensen’s Teaching Experience:
- Marshall School District - 7 years - grades 3 & 4
- Waterloo School District - 6 years - grades 3, 5, 6
- Waterloo School District - 7 years - district instructional coach and instructional tech
- Oconomowoc School District OVLC - grade 6:)
A Bit More About Mrs. Mortensen:
I love hiking the Ice Age Trail and in the mountains near my new home in Colorado. I love reading from the NPR Best Books list and historical fiction novels. My daughter studies oboe at IU-Bloomington, my son hopes to attend UC-Boulder, and my husband and I love live concerts.
Some of Mrs. Mortensen’s Favorites:
Green, Stone Creek Coffee, dark chocolate, gel pens, Coco's
Mrs. Lang's Virtual Office
- OVLC Calendar: Links to announcements and newsletters.
- Announcements: Emailed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
- Mrs. Lang Read Aloud: Read alouds are added each week. All of the read alouds will remain on THIS page!
OLVC Library Book Pickup and Access
Students also have access to E-texts via Overdrive using their Classlink account.
Student is unable to attend any live sessions or complete any assignments for the day
Student is unable to attend live sessions but can complete work during part of the day or after 3:30 p.m.
- Contact teacher via email by 9:00 a.m.
Please contact your home school office with any questions.