Sunday, September 27, 2020
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
We are really looking forward to getting the year underway and figuring out what school really looks like in COVID times. We know it won't be 'normal' but we are committed to supporting staff and student safety and to providing our students with a positive and rigorous learning environment.
Your patience is appreciated - I anticipate that there will be changes to our protocols in the next couple of weeks but I will do my best to keep you informed.
This Week's Most Important Thing - Long Weekend!
As a result, there will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, 10/1 through Monday, 10/5. School (in person and interCONNECT) will resume on Tuesday, 10/6!
There will be school on Monday, 11/2.
Some Reopening Details for In Person Learners
FACE COVERINGS:Our District's student mask requirements have been further clarified.
Face coverings are the "gold standard" for students. If your child is unable to wear a face covering, then you can submit an exemption form that would allow your child to wear a shield (downward or upward facing; no face covering and no drape required). This document clarifies face covering wearing and exemptions. Exemption forms can be dropped off in the office, or emailed to us a email@example.com. Students are expected to have a face covering unless an exemption form has been received in the office.
DROP OFF & PICK UP - INTENT IS TO SUPPORT SOCIAL DISTANCING:
We were able to finalize our enrollment on Friday afternoon. I will be in touch early this week to clarify:
- your child's drop off time (at intervals between 8:10-8:25 am). Drop off times will be determined by your family's last name. All drop off (TK-5) will happen from the main drop off loop on Groveland
- pick up locations (also determined by your child's last name). Pick up locations will vary and will include the front of campus (on Groveland), the blacktop to field gate/parking lot adjacent to the baseball fields (along Groveland) and the back gate/park on Danbury
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:
TK, K, and 1st grade families, as well as our new students in grades 2-5 are welcome to bring one member of their family onto campus on the first day of school. The family member must wear a face covering and will not be allowed into the classroom. They can escort their child to the classroom's patio and then will need to exit campus promptly.
PTC / Sami's Circuit
Our PTC decided at their recent meeting to purchase Sami's program for the year. This is wonderful news and means that our students will continue to hear Sami's positive and uplifting message weekly and our families will have access to Sami's monthly Family Nights - and all of it is from the comfort of your home!
Thank you to our wonderful PTC!
STAR registration flier
Mindfulness Corner - Quieting Your Inner Critic
If you are looking for ways to relax before school, during a break, or after school, check out our virtual calming corner and other mindfulness resources plus helpful tips for parents to support their child's anxiety - click here!
Parents often worry about their children suffering from low self-esteem when they hear them make negative comments about their abilities or personal qualities. Rather than lavishing our children with praise to help them feel better about themselves, we need to teach them how to quiet their inner critic.
Developing mindfulness can be useful in quieting that noisy inner critic. Several studies have found that children as young as preschool age who take school-based mindfulness meditation programs can decrease their stress and aggression and improve their cognitive performance.
Read the following article to learn how to help kids learn to quiet their inner critic: Five Ways to Foster Self-Esteem in Kids
Non-School Days & District Calendar Links
NON-SCHOOL DAYS or SPECIAL DAYS
- ADDED - Thurs., 10/1: Staff Work Day / no school
- Fri., 10/2-Mon., 10/5: Fall Break / no school
- Tues., 10/6: First Day of In Person or interCONNECT instruction
- CANCELLED - Mon., 11/2: Staff Work Day / WE WILL HAVE SCHOOL on 11/2
- Wed., 11/11: Veteran's Day / no school
- Mon., 11/16-Fri., 11/20: Conference Week (watch for details in late October!)
- Mon., 11/23-Fri., 11/27: Thanksgiving Break / no school
- Mon., 12/21-Mon., 1/4: Winter Break / no school
- Mon., 1/18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day / no school
- Fri., 2/12-Mon., 2/15: Mini February Break / no school
- Fri., 3/26: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 3/29-Fri., 4/2: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 4/5: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 5/31: Memorial Day / no school
- Fri., 6/11: Last Day of School
*Fri., 3/26 and Mon., 4/5 are Public Safety (PS) Days - PS days are non student and non teacher word days unless they are needed as make-up days for prior Public Safety closures (smoke, power outages, etc...)
image from: https://hail.to/lochiel-primary/article/Asq6g95
Stay in Touch!
- Check our our website and our community calendar of activities; access PeachJar (our flier hub) directly here!
- Download our free app and get notifications on your phone
- Follow us on Social Media (links above), including Instagram at @lcescolts
- Check us out on YouTube at http://youtube.com/c/JenniferHladunLCES