Swift, silent, hairy
Why the Mo', bro?
Movember aims to change the face of men’s health and reverse this way of thinking by putting a fun twist on this serious issue. Using the moustache as a catalyst, we want to bring about change and give men the opportunity and confidence to learn and talk about their health more openly and take action.
Using scary stats to motivate people is not how we roll at Movember, but the facts below are too startling to ignore. In the US:
- 1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women, will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in males between the ages of 15 and 35.
- While not as common, men can get breast cancer.
- More than 3.5 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year.
- An estimated 13 million men, or 11.8% of all men over the age of 20, have diabetes.
- Men who sit more than six hours a day have an 18 percent increased risk of dying from heart disease and a 7.8 percent increased chance of dying from diabetes compared with someone who sits for three hours or less a day.
- Globally, 5.3 million deaths will be attributed to physical inactivity.
- Over 6 million men are diagnosed with depression each year.
- Almost four times as many males as females die by suicide.
- 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women.