The Rigsby Reader 3.23.15
Updates from Room 311
Dates to Remember:
- March 24th: Chicken Dinner & Math Night Click to View the Save the Date
- March 26th: Raleigh Field Trip Information Night
- March 30th- April 3rd: Spring Break!
- April 8th: Report cards go home
- April 24th-26: Claxton School Play!
Math Carnival & Chicken Dinner This TUESDAY!
Raleigh Information Night
We will be holding a 4th Grade Parent Meeting THIS Thursday from 6pm-7pm. This meeting is for any parents (not just chaperones!) We will be giving you a packet of information and will cover the following information
- What your child needs to wear
- What your child is allowed to bring on the trip
- What our detailed itinerary looks like
- How to fill out the Medication Form
If you cannot attend the meeting, we will be sending home copies of everything with your student next Friday- and you can contact me with any questions or concerns. Room assignments will not be given out until right before the trip.
*Chaperones will have a separate meeting on April 9th from 6pm-7pm to discuss expectations, room lists, and detailed schedules.
Are you following our classroom twitter? @mrskarenrigsby
What We Are Learning
- Reading- We are going to be talking about how to find the Main Idea- and supporting details of a non-fiction passage for the next few weeks. Our Strategy Group Focus will dig into this deeper. We are also working on finding the meaning of new words by using Context Clues.
- Math- We have launched into our Big Fractions Unit! We will be working in math rotations to learn about comparing fractions with a different bottom number. We will also discuss that a fraction is a sum of parts (3/8 = 1/8 +1/8 +1/8)
- Writing- We are researching and publishing our "Bringing NC History to Life" mini books. The topics that each student chose come directly from our Social Studies standards.
- Social Studies- In Social Studies this week, we will be learning about the Native Americans that settled in WNC (Cherokee!)
We finished off our bulletin board by creating iPhones w/ Homophones on them!
Composting in the Classroom
Greenworks came by to give us our new Classroom Compost bins- and teach us what goes in them.
Matthew & Martavis on 'ScribbleMyStory' App.
Mrs. Allbach led us in a great discussion about dangers in the meatpacking industry (which is talked about in Zombie Baseball Beatdown). We learned about how engineers problem solve- and create our own invention to create safer work environments. Students used the iPads to present their ideas.