Get Whitt it!
If you call one wolf, you invite the pack.
Wolf Howl tomorrow!
Early voting begins next week!
This is an election cycle that could see real damage to public education! The power to build up our public schools for generations to come or to increase the chances that children will not have a ‘free and public education’ is in your hands as voters.
In most cases, electing candidates who support our children will be completed in the Primary Election. Because so few people vote in the primaries, every vote counts. Your vote will make a difference!
Find out who your candidates are for the Texas House and Senate and the Texas Supreme Court then consider finding out how they answer some of these questions:
- How do you support public education? (Not, “Do you support education?” Or even, “Do you support public education?”)
- Do you support vouchers?
- Do you support a tax credit plan? (that would decrease the amount of funds available to public schools)
- Do you support giving private schools access to public funds (or money from tax credits) to private schools? They should say, “No!”
- Do you support a defined benefit plan for all current and future TRS retirees?
- Do you support providing reasonable, affordable, quality healthcare for TRS retirees and future?
- What will you do as my legislator to ensure that the TRS pension fund and TRS–Care health insurance program are preserved and improved?
- And, if you are feeling frisky, ask them where their own children attend school. Do they attend a public, private or home school? This question will tell you where their allegiance will lie.
We host the voting here next week, so that makes it even easier to get your vote IN! If you need to leave during a conference time or a bit early to go vote, PLEASE let me know and you can do so! I'll also offer a jeans pass if you text me your "I voted!" sticker!
I'm asking nicely...
Staff development for Monday
MOY data looks really good, very comparable in most places to last year. I know several of you were frustrated and wanted to see bigger gains, but WE HAVE TIME. We're still going to make this happen. We have the BEST teachers, and the BEST kids...plus we're going to FOCUSED and INTENTIONAL in making our success happen!
Readworthy for the week
10 Risks Every Teacher Should Take With Their Class by @ajjuliani
When we harm rather than help- some thoughts on Reading Interventions http://pernillesripp.com/2016/02/06/when-we-harm-rather-than-help-some-thoughts-on-reading-interventions/
Happy birthday to YOU!
Feb 10- Allen Wade
Feb 14- Dyann Humphreys
Feb 19- Cindy Hipes
Feb 27- Tracie Gainnie
Feb. 15- Staff Development, February board meeting
Feb. 17- Wylie Way meeting after-school, PLC; leaders (Only the crew that attended the PLC leadership Institute, please)
Feb. 18- Spring Fundraiser Kick Off, AP meeting
Feb. 20- #EDCAMPAWESOME in Royse City, CPE credit available; Gala at Southfork for Education Foundation