The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - December 6, 2020
A Note from Principal Welch
Happy Sunday! I hope you are continuing to stay healthy and happy, despite our current pandemic situation. We sure miss all our Sailor students and families! Please continue to do what you can to stop the spread of this virus so we can return to school together.
We are just two weeks away from our winter break. If you are planning for your student to not attend school for any of these days, please let your teacher know, but please also let the office know. We take attendance daily and would love for all our students to be present with us daily. Attendance Matters, but so does student participation! We encourage students to find ways to participate each day in discussions and showing their learning with peers or other adults. If you could use support with your student and their remote learning, please feel free to reach out. We are in this together!
The next two weeks will be a blur for many reasons, but I encourage you all to take a moment to slow down and reflect on those things you are thankful for. We have many blessings around us.
Finally, I invite any and all of you to attend our PTA meeting this coming Tuesday, December 8, from 7:00-8:00 PM. You will find the Zoom link in the PTA section at the bottom of the newsletter.
Let's make this a great week ahead!
Jen Welch, Principal
•• SCHOOL NEWS ••
Hour of Code - December 7-11
Hour of Code is a global movement introducing tens of millions of students worldwide to computer science, inspiring kids to learn more, breaking stereotypes, and leaving them feeling empowered. “Everybody should learn to program a computer because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs.
Regardless of a child's interests, having a basic understanding of the concepts of coding is a great foundation for every student.
Below are instructions that Mr. Mike has created and to share how students can participate.
- Students log into Clever.
- Find the Code.org tile in Clever and click it.
- Students sign in using their district Google account (one time only)
- Find the Section field and enter the code above (for your grade level). Then, click 'Join Section'.
- Computer Lab (K-1): VSTFCX
- Computer Lab (2-5): MRJWXK
If you have questions, please email Mr. Paganini, our technology teacher, at email@example.com.
Cottage Lake supports
Thank you for your generosity!
Holiday Assistance 2020 Community Resources
GIFTS: King County
Hopelink Holiday Gift Rooms – for ages birth through 18.
REDMOND LOCATION: 8990 154th Ave. NE, Redmond, 98052. (425) 869-6000
- To limit Coronavirus transmission in our community and support the safety of Hopelink staff, volunteers and clients, we will not accept or distribute toys, clothing, or other physical gift donations this holiday season. Instead, Hopelink is distributing gift cards to families buying gifts for their children.
Who can apply for a gift card?
To request a gift card, all these statements must apply to you.
- You are a current Hopelink client,
- You are the custodial parent or custodial guardian of at least one child 18 years old or younger, AND
- You have current income of less than 400% of the Federal Poverty Line, according the chart located here, self-declared.
- Fees: none
Helping Hands Ministries - Thrift Store
19213 Bothell-Everett Hwy. (425) 481-6682. Open 10-7
- Gently used and new clothing, toys, books, household items, furniture
- $25 Gift Vouchers available through:
- ..... Northshore School District
- ..... Canyon Hills Community Church [22027 17th Ave SE, Bothell 98021, (425) 488-4121]
- ..... North Creek Presbyterian Church [621 164th SE, Mill Creek, 98012 (425) 743-2386]
- ..... Northshore Community Church [10301 NE 145th St. Kirkland, 98034 (425) 821-5252]
Please contact Nurse Audrey for further information.
Salvation Army Christmas Assistance – Toys for Tots
911 164th Ave NE Bellevue, 98008. (425) 452-7300. Select Admin on phone options
- Deadline to order 12/6/19
- Call location ahead to verify zip code and information that is needed
- Two toys per child – one big, one small
- Serving Bellevue, Bothell, Kirkland, Redmond, Woodinville zip codes
- Must be income eligible; have proof of children’s ages; ID or social security for every member of household; proof of residency.
FOOD: King County
Hopelink – Kirkland/Northshore
11011 120th Ave NE, Kirkland, 98033 (425) 889-7880
- The food bank will continue to provide groceries at a clearly marked entry point in pre-packed boxes in order to limit exposure for clients, staff and volunteers.
- In response to the arrival of COVID-19 in our community, the following temporary changes have been put in place
- Each household will be able to pick up enough food for 21 meals per person.
- Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond & Shoreline food banks are open:
Tuesdays | 12 - 4PM
Wednesday | 3 - 7PM
Thursday | 10AM - 2PM
- Sno-Valley food bank is open:
Wednesday | 3 - 7PM
Thursday | 10AM - 2PM
- If you need food assistance go to the link: https://www.hopelink.org/need-help/food:
GIFTS: SNOHOMISH COUNTY
Marine Toys for Tots
Toys for Tots c/o The Foundation Church 2730 Oakes Avenue Everett, WA 98201
- Must be a Snohomish County Resident
- Contact Mary Butler w/ questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website to place your order: https://everett-wa.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/local-toy-request-single-form.aspx
FOOD: SNOHOMISH COUNTY
Saint Vincent De Paul North Sound Council Holiday Food Baskets
6424 Broadway Ave, Everett 98213.
- Holiday food baskets for Christmas.
- Basket contents varies by location.
- Individuals, couples, and families living in Snohomish County
- Call intake line to sign up (425) 355-3504 Ext #1
Care Team for Families & Students
Hello Cottage Lake families,
I'm reaching out to check in and see how distance learning is going for your student(s)? Is there anything specific we can do to support your student's needs? We have been working with many Cottage Lake families on technology support, working with students supporting organization (schedules/checklists/navigating Schoology), and finding the right place for them to set up their learning area.
We also have a lunch club available to all students. If your child is not currently participating and would like to, please let me know. This social time can be a vital connection for your student with others in their classroom. We also have availability to meet with students one-on-one or in small groups if they need help with something specific or just need to chat.
If your family has other specific needs, please let me know. The Northshore Foundation has multiple types of resources available to help families, and I can offer some direction as well for community resources.
During this time of remote learning, I do not have regular hours at school. Email is the best way to reach me as I am working from home and checking my email regularly throughout the day. We also encourage families to complete this form to share if there is a need you are experiencing or a way we could be of additional support. https://forms.gle/Fq5L7WCTcrdNNJkd9
Please don't hesitate to reach out and let me know how I can best support your family and your Cottage Lake learner!
Take care and stay healthy,
Cottage Lake Care Team Liaison
Please nominate students who you feel could use extra support during this time of distance learning. The Care team will follow up with families to find out more and provide support as needed.
Our Book Circulation continues!
We are so excited about our book circulation to continue on Thursdays. We appreciate all the feedback we have received and love seeing pictures of your students reading, as well! Below is information regarding the upcoming book circulation.
- 1st, 3rd, & FSA - Your next delivery is on: Thursday, December 10
- If you want books, please fill out this form http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by Sunday, December 6 @ 9:00 PM.
- ALL STUDENTS - Your final delivery in December is on: Thursday, December 17
- ALL STUDENTS - If you want books to enjoy during winter break, please fill out this form: http://go.nsd.org/sailorbooks by Sunday, December 13 @ 9:00 PM.
Please click on the button below to locate the book circulation schedule (this is updated regularly) and find the request form in one place.
Please click on this link to find our online library book request forms and the upcoming schedule of delivery and pick-up weeks. This schedule will continue to be updated. Happy Reading!
Next Materials Pick-up - January 7, 2021
Pick-up times will be as follows:
- Last names A-H, pick-up from 1:00-2:00 PM
- Last names I-O, pick-up from 2:00-3:00 PM
- Last names P-Z, pick-up from 3:00-4:00 PM
- Those families who couldn't come at the earlier times, 4:30-5:30 PM
•• District News ••
•• REPEAT of District News ••
Does your Cottage Lake Elementary student need a device for online learning? Please use the link below to sign up and sign the waiver. After you submit your form, Mr. Paganini will be in contact with you to set a pick-up time for you. For students in Kindergarten & Grade 1, we are issuing iPads. For students in Grade 2 through Grade 5, we are issuing Chromebooks. Students will keep these devices at home until we return to school.
Meals during remote learning and hybrid learning
Beginning Wednesday, September 9, we are offering free meals for ALL children ages 18 and younger. Students do not need to be enrolled in the Northshore School District to receive meals. This is GREAT news for each of our families; these are your tax dollars at work. I am so pleased this funding has been continued, allowing us to extend these meal services until the end of December.
Please visit our District website for more information about how and when to place your order, times and locations for meal pick-up, pricing, and how to apply for free and reduced-price meals.
For quick links:
- CLICK HERE to place an order for DAILY MEALS. [The order window time will be 2:00 PM-11:59 PM the day prior to meal pick-up. Order include breakfast and lunch, including 16oz of milk. Orders placed for a Friday pick-up will also include meals for the weekend.]
- CLICK HERE to place an order for WEEKLY MEAL PACKS. [Weekly Meal Packs will include breakfast and lunch for an entire week, including a gallon of milk. The order window will open at 2:00 PM every Wednesday and close at 2:00 PM every Thursday. Pick up for these meals will be on Wednesday the following week.]
Please consider ordering food! Our district is committed to feeding our children during this challenging time.
•• PTA NEWS ••
- Our next PTA Meeting of the year is December 8, 2020 from 7:00-8:00 PM. Join us for the PTA meeting using this Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5567580614
- Learn more about the PTA and get your 2020/21 membership at www.cottagelakepta.org.
- Your 2020/21 PTA Presidents are: Carrie Mizenko & Rachel Tarr and can be contacted at email@example.com.
Search: Cottage Lake PTA.
[YES, our PTA accounted is listed in Tacoma, but it IS our school's PTA located in Woodinville, WA.]
After selecting our school's PTA, each time you want to shop, begin with visiting www.smile.amazon.com, and then shop. You must first log into the smile.amazon.com for purchases to be eligible for the cash back opportunity.