Bellevue Public Schools, Bellevue NE
December 5, 2014 Volume 8
A Growth Mindset
Amazing Learning Opportunity
Kent Steen from University of Lincoln will be providing six hours of training on a coding curriculum that you will receive during our time together. If you are interested at all in bringing basic coding skills to your students come and spend a few hours with Kent and the trainers. Sign up for the FREE session here.
Online Classes for Second Semester
Register for online classes here. Classes begin January 12th. Remember we need 10 people to make a class a go so ask a friend or colleague to join you to make it more fun!
Hour of Code Starts Monday!!! Join the Fun!!
Coding is becoming an essential skill for the future of our students. Remember, the hour doesn't have to be done all in one sitting. Just have students record a total of one hour of experimenting and learning with coding. Here are several ways to involve your students in coding.
- Go to www.code.org to register your class.
- Choose from these tutorials at www.code.org/learn.
- Tweet and/or watch #hourofcode on Twitter.com to see what other classes and teachers are doing.
- Print certificates for your students accomplishments at www.code.org/certificates. You can print up to 30 certificates at a time.
- There are also live chats happening each day from Tuesday through Friday. One of the hosts of the chats is Ashton Kutcher!
- Find a coding mentor for your students who are really interested in coding. They can find a code mentor here.
For a simple way to investigate coding in the classroom check out this resources.
If you are interested, but would like some support with this activity, contact your Building Technology Coordinator for more information.
Twelve Days of Twitter
This is an amazing way to crowdsource, build connections, and learn from others. For a snapshot of what people have shared so far on Twitter check out the 12 Days of Twitter Pinterest board.
Join the Global Read Aloud
Featured Applications - Creating Images for Publication
Canta lets you create beautiful posters, fliers, banners, and images for free. You can download your creations and use them as you like. Canva can be found online or you can download it from the app store here.
Skitch lets you bring in images that you can label and write on top of with a variety of colors. Skitch can be used on your Mac or you can download it from the app store here.
Color Effects iPad app lets you take an image and transform it using amazingly high quality colors. Take a black and white image and doctor it up with one splash of color or take a color image and change it completely. You can download it from the app store here.