WEEKLY FAMILY BUFFALO NEWSLETTER
Week of January 23, 2023
S.T. R. O. N. G. Buffalo Country
Greetings Smith Family,
What an amazing week of MLK celebrations, instructional collaboration, athletic events to increase scholar achievement! It is with great pleasure to share a few highlights this week:
- Call Squad actively pushing to get more scholars by 10 AM
- Instructional Coaches collaborating with Staff Members
- Basketball Coaches exhibiting stellar sportsmanship
- Board approved cafeteria tables for next school year
We are looking forward to increasing your academic success for the upcoming STAAR assessment.
Our Team met this week to set Cycle 2 Goals with the following expectations:
Daily Do Now
Small Group Instruction
STAAR-like question types
Please continue encourage scholars to read daily to embrace literacy that will increase fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Thank you for your continued support to move Smith MS to the next level!
FEBRUARY 2023 GOALS: STAAR INTERIM
WEEK 14 CLOSE READ DATA
PERFECT ATTENDANCE 2ND NINE WEEKS
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR BISD TOY NOMINEE - MS. JANA JEFFCOAT GRADE 8 RLA
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
FIELD TRIP EXPECTATIONS
Scholar morning arrival reminders
- Doors open at 8:10 AM for Breakfast
- Scholars line up on side walk (one behind the other)
- Keep hands, feet, and any object to self
SAFE BUFFALO RIDERS
Staff Member will ask Bus Drivers for a YES or NO regarding scholar bus behavior. It is all or none expectation to receive the rewards as follows:
- 3 consecutive days = Icee Popsicle
- 10 consecutive days = nachos/drink
- 25 consecutive days = free dress coupon
This incentive is to promote safe bus riders at all times by following the expectations and demonstrating respect to each other. Feel free to provide feedback.
Dr. Tamikia Greene, Assistant Principal
FAMILY INPUT- Please share your thoughts
Ms. Christina Goss, Dean of Climate & Culture
Greetings Buffalo Family!
Scholars will get to attend the Buffalo Store on Friday, January 27th.
Knowledge - As we build relationships, we build character. The word of the month is Knowledge. Knowledge is learning something new so you can be better at whatever you do. The word must be written on your board as a visual representation of character building.
Parent Newsletter - Learning a new skill with your child could take many forms. It might be that you need to change a headlight bulb in your car, and you watch a YouTube video together to figure out how to do it on your own. It could be that you want to bake a new dessert, and you try
it out together.
Questions for parents to consider:
• How is their device helping or hurting their growth of new knowledge?
Questions to ask your child:
• What is the best thing you have learned this year?
• Dream Big Girls Mentorship Group - Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. (Room A-8)
• Take My Hand Girl - Thursdays 2:00 p.m. (Room A-8)
If you would like to mentor at Smith Middle School, please contact Ms. Bryant, Lead School Counselor.
weekly highlights of the Buffalo Voyage!
MANY THANKS TO THE PHI BETA SIGMA FOR DONATING PENCILS
MANY THANKS TO OUR BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONIST TEAMS
- January 24th - 5th Grade Seminar
- January 25th - Staff Meeting 4:45 - 5:45 PM
- January 31st - Donuts with Dudes
- February 8th - Staff Meeting 4:45 - 5:45 PM
- February 10th - Half Day Periods 5 - 8
- February 13th - Holiday
- February 2023 - STAAR Interim Testing 2
- February 28th - Half Day Periods 1 - 4
- March 2nd - Half Day Periods 5 - 8
- March 3rd - Half Day Periods 1 - 4
- March 13th - 17th SPRING BREAK