The Wellness Connection
GPISD Monthly Newsletter~October 2021 Edition
Eight Dimensions of Wellness
Emotional Wellness is the understanding and acceptance of your emotions, and the ability to deal with challenges and change.
Tips to Maintain Emotional Wellness in Times of Uncertainty
- Be Positive
- Get Connected
- Relieve Stress
- Quality Sleep
- Establish Boundaries
- Be Mindful
- Cope with Loss
- Accept Yourself
- Ask for Help
Environmental Wellness refers to your sense of safety, comfort and connection with your physical surroundings.
6 Ways to Enhance Your Environmental Wellness
- Create a healthy, happy living space
- Find little spaces of tranquility
- Make a positive impact on the environment
- Make your community a better place
- Foster happy relationships in your home
- View the place you live in like a tourist does on vacation
Financial stress can negatively affect your productivity at work. Financial wellness is finding a balance between living for today and preparing for tomorrow.
4 Ways to Improve Your Financial Wellness
- Don't spend more than you earn
- Keep an emergency fund
- Have a plan to pay down debt
- Save for retirement
Intellectual wellness is an active pursuit of working towards an optimal intellectual state.
8 Steps to Simple Steps to Increase your Intellectual Wellness
- Try new things
- Get Creative
- Practice Self-Reflection
- Exercise your brain with puzzles and brain games
Occupational wellness allows you to explore various career options and encourages you to pursue the opportunities you enjoy the most.
Tips to Improve Occupational Wellness
- Do not settle
- Avoid over-working yourself
- Create connections with you coworkers
- Consider adding greenery and personal touches to your work space
- Take breaks throughout the day
Physical Wellness is listening to and taking care of your body for optimal health and functioning.
Key Aspects of Physical Wellness
- Eating Well
- Physical Activity
- Routine Health Care
Social Wellness refers to the relationships we have and how we interact with others.
5 Steps to Improve Social Wellness
- Surround yourself with good people
- Practice self-care
- Engage in hobbies and extracurriculars
- Stick to a healthy routine
- Continue working on better communication
Spiritual Wellness involves finding your life's meaning and purpose and understanding the values, beliefs, and morals that guide your actions.
8 Ways to Boost Your Spiritual Health
- Connect with your faith community
- Volunteer or help others
- Practice Yoga
- Keep a journal
- Spend time in nature
- Focus on your hobbies
- Speak with someone you trust
Aetna Monthly Wellness Initiative ~ Gratitude
Practicing gratitude can positively impact a members total health. Here are some tips on how to incorporate it into daily life.
- Click link below for a four week wellness challenge and tracker for Gratitude.
- Practicing gratitude by writing in a gratitude journal can help members improve happiness and health.
**Use google chrome to access links**
American Heart Association Health Tips
3 BIG THINGS: BLOOD PRESSURE
- Nearly half of all Americans have high blood pressure, and many don't know they have it. Uncontrolled high blood pressure robs us of precious times with loved ones.
- HBP is a silent killer that causes unnecessary and inequitable disease, disability, and death. It can cause heart attacks, heart failure, stroke and other devastating conditions.
- Blood pressure can be largely controlled through a combination of lifestyle changes or medication or both. Together with our heroes, the AHA is uniquely positioned to help everyone have more time with those we love. Our Check. Change. Control., Target: BP, and self-measured blood pressure programs are just a few of the ways we're making a difference.
SODIUM CAN BE SNEAKY!
- Prepare food at home to have more control over the sodium in food. Replace salt in recipes with herbs, spices, citrus, or vinegar. Foods that look the same may contain different amounts of salt! Compare labels. Choose the item with the lesser amount of sodium. Learn how to change your salty ways in only 21 days.
MONTHLY CHALLENGE: Try tracking your sodium this month by using our sodium tracker!