AHES Panther News
2022 Connection: January 28, 2022
Anaheim Hills Elementary School
Location: 6450 E Serrano Avenue Anaheim, CA 92807
We had a great week participating in The Great Kindness Challenge as a school site. Our students enjoyed the spirit days, but I really loved seeing them complete acts of kindness at AHES.
You might have noticed that the Crossing Guard on Serrano has not been here this week. Crossing Guards are not hired or provided by OUSD, but instead through the city. I have been informed that our Crossing Guard should return on Monday, January 31st.
Also, we have received updated guidance from our District Office that allows us to have parent visitors on campus to attend certain events like Award Ceremonies and VAPA Showcases. Our Instructional Leadership Team has worked to update our monthly awards to add a parent component. If your child is to receive an award you will be notified and invited to attend an outdoor award reception. Our plan is for our Spring VAPA showcases to include opportunities for parents to attend as well. We look forward to providing additional opportunities for parent engagement and involvement on our campus.
Please see below for this week's updates.
Mrs. Van Wilgen Moore
6th Grade Student - Climate Survey
2022-2023 Kindergarten/TK Enrollment begins January 19, 2022.
If your student is NEW and has never attended schools in OUSD,the enrollment link will be available on January 19, 2022 here: https://www.orangeusd.org/enrollment/transitional-kindergarten
You will need to enroll at your home school or nearest elementary school.
If you are not sure which school your address pertains to,
you may use the School Site Locator by CLICKING HERE.
For more information or questions, please contact the registrar at your home school or
Student & Community Services - 714-628-5424
Valentine's Grams Fundraiser for our 5th Grade Class
COVID-19 Student Testing Opportunities
Voluntary, cost-free COVID-19 testing is available four times per week to all interested students. This type of surveillance testing program is recommended by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Event Time: Monday to Thursday 2:00pm – 5:00pm
Event Locations: Canyon High School / El Modena High School Orange High School / Villa Park High School 2:00 - 2:30 is reserved for HS staff/students
Please follow the below steps to schedule your COVID-19 test:
1. Use the Registration Link or QR Code to access registration for the event
2. Complete the COVID-19 questionnaire, including all consent forms, and time slot selection for each patient that will be tested
3. Bring a copy of your insurance card and state issued ID with you to the event
4. Expect to receive your results within 2 days from the date of testing via text message or phone call from the doctor. If you have not been contacted by us within 2 days, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will reply to your email with your results
Canyon High School Showcase - February 2, 2022
Students and parents will have the opportunity to tour the campus, including our new 69, 000 square foot math and science building. Students and parents will have the opportunity to meet teachers, program leaders, coaches and obtain information on all of the great things Canyon High School has to offer your student. During the evening, our performing arts groups will be showcasing their talents in our new quad area for your entertainment.
For current 8th graders interested in our AP and IB programs, we will be holding two important meetings that night. Prior to the start of Open House at 5:30 p.m. we will hold a meeting in room 133 (2nd floor of the new building) for any 8th grader interested in taking AP Human Geography next year. At 6:05 p.m., in room 133, we will hold a meeting for any student interested in our International Baccalaureate program. A program with a full schedule of events and performance times will be distributed at the event.
You can find more information below on the flyer.
Girl Scouts of Orange County - Information for Local Schools
Reminders - Please Review
Saturday Enrichment Academy - January 29th - Postponed
The Canyon High School January 29th Saturday Enrichment Academy has been postponed to a later date in the spring. I will advertise it again to our families as the date gets closer.
OUSD OPEN ENROLLMENT 2022-2023
K-12 OPEN ENROLLMENT FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
OPEN FROM JANUARY 17-31, 2022
Open Enrollment is for students who would like to attend a school other than their home school, assigned based upon their area of residence. You may find your "home" school by looking up your address at SchoolLocator at http://apps.schoolsitelocator.com/?districtcode=57964.
Open Enrollment applications for K-12 grades will be available online between January 17-January 31, 2022. Please complete your online application during this time period. Schools will have computers available for your convenience. Fill out your application completely and submit one application per school that you would like to attend. You may submit an application to as many schools as you like, one application per school.
Open Enrollment closes on January 31, 2022 at 4:00 P.M. School sites will hold a lottery and notify families of their lottery number, beginning February 03, 2022. Once the number of openings in a school is determined, the school will start notifying families, starting with the first person on the list and offer them a spot in their school. Parents may accept or deny the offer. If denied the school will move on to the next person on the list and parents may not change their mind once they have denied.
If you wish to request Open Enrollment for the current school year, please contact Student and Community Services at 714-628-5424.
How Do I Know When My Child Can Return to School?
Please see the reminders below of what you can do to help and when not to send your child to school.
How you can help:
1) Please communicate to your student(s) the importance of wearing a mask as required, encourage them to wash their hands often or use hand sanitizer, and remind them to cover their noses and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
2) It is critical that parents and guardians keep their students home when they are sick and report all absences, positive cases, exposures, and illnesses to their child's school immediately. Please make sure that your student does not attend school and gets tested as soon as possible if they have symptoms associated with the coronavirus.
The following is a list of reasons that students should not attend school, and the school’s office should be contacted:
● Has tested positive for COVID-19
● Is awaiting COVID-19 test results
● Has been identified as a close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19 or has had possible exposure to someone with COVID-19
● Is experiencing any symptom(s) of COVID-19, including:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher
- Sore throat
- Muscle or body aches
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, or abdominal pain
- Runny nose, congestion, itchy or red eyes, or chills
- Persistent cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
● If a student is unvaccinated and traveled out of the country over the break, the CDC recommends self-quarantining 7 days after return from the international destination, with a COVID test on day 3-5 upon return (or 10 days without testing).
- An individual is considered vaccinated two weeks AFTER their second vaccination in a two-dose series (such as the Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks AFTER receiving a single-dose vaccine (such as Johnson&Johnson/Janssen).
If in doubt, please keep your student home and contact the Anaheim Hills Elementary School staff by emailing AnaheimHillsPrincipal@orangeusd.org and someone from the office will be in contact with you as soon as possible to advise you on next steps and to help identify the soonest return to school date.
3)For information on free at home COVID-19 test kits and in-person COVID-19 testing options, please see this communication from our Superintendent. If your child is placed on quarantine or isolation and you are having trouble with test access, please contact the front office.
Thank you for your continued commitment to keeping our students, staff, and school community safe and healthy.
Please use the following student symptom decision tree from the Orange County Health Care Agency, when determining if a child can return to school after exhibiting any signs of sickness. Please reach out to the school front office to assist you in identifying your child's return to school date.