Lion's Den News October Edition
Written by: Sarah Parker / Edited by: Jennifer Medley
Words from your Principal
I can't believe it is almost time for second nine weeks to begin. Thank you to all parents who have conferenced with your child's teacher! We had a huge turnout that day. Another big day for us was Grandparent's Day. More 400 grandparents had lunch with their grandkids that day. Support from families is vital to making our school successful. We appreciate all of you!
Happy Fall and please remember October is another busy month with lots of activities for our students. Please keep the school calendar handy so everyone will know what is going on at Lakewood.
Mrs. Logan and Mrs. Pounders
Words from your PTA President
Happy Fall Y'all!
Our BIG fall fundraiser is coming up in October. Did you know that this fundraiser will fund the PTA all year long? This year we are changing things up with a Spooky Fun Color Run. It will take place on October 31st! Oh, what an exciting day that will be!
We will be asking for donations through the The Get Movin' Crew's website. Our school goal is $30,000, which will allow us to purchase giant shade tent to cover both of the playgrounds and a couple smaller shades/umbrellas. The money will also support a new effort this year: helping each grade get the “wish” they want. With that, this fall fundraiser is the BIG one. We need to get as many donations as possible and with your help we can make this the best fundraiser yet! Look for information to come home soon.
We also need your help for all the behind the scenes work. We are asking for parents to join the Fall Fundraiser committee. This is a fun/hard/rewarding job so I will need a group of dedicated, hardworking, and fun-loving people. We will need to have some meetings but not all the time and a lot can be done before and after school or at home. Please use the SignUp Genius to volunteer. Thank you in advance for being willing to step up and help.
Another thing I wanted to touch on and ask our parents, "Do you know a business or own a business that would be willing to sponsor some of the needs here at Lakewood?" For example, do you know a company or own one that would be willing to sponsor our fall fundraiser shirts? That's a huge expense, just to get shirts for the fall fundraiser for everyone in the school the price is close to $3,000. We would love to have sponsors to help cut the cost on many things like that. If t-shirts are not your business maybe you would be willing to donate or match donations so we could get to our BIG goal we're reaching for this year. All businesses will be recognized. For more information email: email@example.com.
2019-2020 Lakewood PTA Board
- President - Haley Colclasure
- Vice President - Lindsey Abbott
- Treasurer - Lori Harms
- Parliamentarian - Jennifer Medley
- Secretary - Jessica O'Bough
- Historian / Yearbook - Katie Melton
- PTA Membership - Magyie Stallings
- Lakewood Newsletter - Sarah Parker
- Book Fair Chairs - Katie Melton & Amanda Browning
- Teacher Appreciation Chairs - Sarah Childers & Beth Ann Davenport
- Spirit Wear - Andrea Hughes
School events happen with parent volunteers and WE NEED YOU!
Click here to join a committee on Sing Up Genius
Chocolate Fundraiser (Spring Fundraiser)
Night of Giving
Spring Book Fair
If you have any questions or concerns please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Council Boards
Congratulations to 2019-2020 Student Council Members!
Student Council is in charge of our student body! They help plan events happening at our school. They help promote kindness and school spirit. Student council is the face of the school and we expect these students to show integrity, leadership, and commitment to Lakewood Elementary. They help maintain school and community wellness by providing a Food Pantry for our students who are food insecure. It's a big job to full the pantry and pack bags each week.
President - Andrew Lowe
Vice President - Lamise Saleh
Historian - Macy Blackwell
Treasurer - Fletcher Lee
Secretary - Story Sheets
3rd Grade Representatives:
4th Grade Representatives:
5th Grade Representatives:
Did You Know: Shopping can raise money for our school?
These are a few simple and automatic ways to support LWE!
Please tell your friends and family to sign up!
- Always shop Amazon Smile!
On your first visit to smile.amazon.com:
Select: Pick your own charitable organization
Type: Lakewood Elementary PTA
Select: N Little Rock, Ar
- Kroger Community Rewards
Log into your Kroger.com account:
Click: My account
Click: Community Rewards
Click: ENROLL NOW or EDIT (a search box should appear)
Our NEW number/ NPO#: NQ554
Click: Circle next to Lakewood Elementary PTA
Click: ENROLL to complete enrollment
Support our Lakewood Volleyball Teams
Come cheer on our friends on the volleyball team! There are two games per hour, 2/3 graders play the first 30 minutes and 4/5 play the second 30 minutes. You can watch them at the NLR High School Auxiliary Gym (across the street from the library); its $3 entry fee, ages 6 and under are free.
8:00 - 9:00 / Court 2 / LW vs Crestwood
10:00 - 11:00 / Court 1 / LW vs Seventh Street
11:00 - 12:00 / Court 3 / LW vs Boone Park
12:00 - 1:00 / Court 1 / LW vs Crestwood2
1:00 - 2:00 / Court 1 / LW vs Glenview
10:00 - 11:00 / Court 2 / LW vs Ridge Road
12:00 - 1:00 / Court 2 / LW vs Meadow Park
1:00 - 2:00 / Court 1 / LW vs Indian Hills
Join the Cheer Team
Cheer on Lakewood with our new mascot Cavin Basil!
Practice will begin October 14, so get your registration in! There are no tryouts so everyone gets an opportunity to have lots of fun and show school spirit!
- 3rd - 5th Graders
- $45 Cheerleader fee - includes uniform, pom poms, and bow
- Practice will be Mondays 5:30-6:30
- Students cheer on Saturdays
- Volunteers are needed for Assistant Coach and Team Parent
If you have any questions contact the cheer coach, Jamie Stark.
Mental Health Matters:
Talking to Kids about Mental Illness
It is never too early. They see us,,they feel our ups and downs; they imitate us. So why not have the conversations now? Be open and honest about your feelings, and show them positive ways to cope with issues in your life. It’s perfectly normal to have bad days, and children need to know this. As adults, we also need to keep this in mind when we see our kids struggling. We don’t have good days 100% of the time, so why would we expect them to? Give them some grace on bad days, but be present and know at what point to reach out for help. If children develop the habit of talking about their feelings early on in life, they are more likely to continue this through adulthood. Start somewhere…have the conversations.
Sadie Blackwell, PMHNP
MEET THE FIRST GRADE AND READING TEAM
To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world. Dr. Seuss
First Grade teacher
First Grade Teacher
First grade teacher
First Grade teacher
- She started her career at Lakewood 8 years ago. She taught Kindergarten for 6 years and 1st grade for the past 2 years.
- Favorite drink: Dr. Pepper
- Favorite snack: Kettle Corn Popcorn
- Proudest accomplishment: received my specialist in Educational Leadership
- Birthday: Feb 26
- Favorite Quote: You are loved
First Grade Teacher
- She has been teaching for 29 years; the last 27 have been at Lakewood, teaching first grade!
- Favorite drink: "I drink far too much Diet Coke, but I also enjoy unsweet tea with lime."
- Favorite Snack: "Sadly, I will snack on just about anything. Milk chocolate is my favorite."
- Proudest accomplishment: "I am very proud when any former first grader comes to see me. One came just to tell me he had been accepted into dental school. A few years later he came back to let me know he had graduated!"
- Birthday: June 18
- Favorite Quote: I love quotes. My current favorite is from Sigmund Freud: "Time spent with cats is never wasted."
First grade teacher
- She has taught kindergarten - second grade for a total of 14 years, with the past 7 years teaching 1st grade.
- This is her first year at Lakewood and she is loving it!
- Favorite drink: Sweet Tea
- Favorite snack: Chex Mix
- Proudest accomplishment: My children-Carson, 11, Waylon, 10, and Gianna, 19 months
- Birthday: March 23
- Favorite quote: Treat others like you want to be treated.
Multi-Classroom Leader -
Teachers and Students K-2nd
She has been a teacher for 23 years, all but 2 1/2 in North Little Rock. She has been with Lakewood for 5 years.
The Dyslexia Interventionist position is new to our district as of Spring of last year, though I have specialized in literacy instruction for most of her teaching career.
- 3. Favorite drink: By far, it's coffee. When traveling with my kids, they bring me a cup in bed!
- Favorite snack: I'm a salt girl, preferably loaded with carbs ;-)
- Proudest accomplishment: I have trained up five intelligent, kind, and fascinating children. I take all the credit.
- Birthday: May 7
- Favorite quote: When facing a challenge, I remember, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Moving forward, no matter the speed, is heading in the right direction.
- She has been a teacher for 29 years, 26 of those years in reading recovery.
- She has been at Lakewood for 13 years.
- Favorite Drink: Diet Coke
- Favorite Snack: Trail Mix, Red Starburst
- Proudest accomplishment: Becoming a Reading Recovery teacher and giving so many struggling readers an opportunity to become independent, successful readers.
- Birthday: July 29
- Favorite Quote: My Papa always said "That's water under the bridge."
Multi-Classroom Leader -
Teachers and Students K-2nd
- This is her first year in this new position but has taught for 28 years.
- She has spent 17 years teaching Kindergarten at Seventh Street Elementary and 11 years teaching 2nd Grade at Lakewood.
- Her favorite drink: a fountain Coke from Sonic!
- Favorite snack: I've been known to make a meal out of chips and salsa!
- proudest accomplishment: My proudest accomplishment in life is raising 3 wonderful children!! My proudest professional accomplishment is being North Little Rock School District's Teacher of the Year in 2005!
- Birthday: My birthday is August 6th. Mrs. Logan is exactly 1 day older than I am:)
- Favorite quote: "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
North Little Rock Board of Education
The next regular board meeting is October 17 @ 5:30 in the Administration Building.
School Board Meetings are open to the public. Regular board meetings are held every third Thursday of every month. Special board meetings are planned as the need arises, and notification about those meetings will be provided within the time frame as mandated by the Arkansas Open Meetings law.
Includes Agenda for 9/19 Regular Board Meeting and Minutes for 8/15 Regular Board Meeting
Save The Date
NLR Spirit Dance
An exciting thing about being in 5th grade is the end of the school year when all 5th graders have the opportunity to go to Sea Camp together! Their committee is composed of 5th grade parents and is not associated with the PTA. The NLR Spirit Dance is a fundraiser sponsored by and help to support the 5th grade Sea Camp.
5:30 - 7:00
$10 at the Door
3rd - 5th Grade only
Pizza - Popcorn - Candy - Drinks
Wear all you Blue and Gold to show your spirit!
Walk to School Day
Spooky Fun Color Run
We are asking for donations through the The Get Movin' Crew online. Our school goal is $30,00 to provide shade over the playground areas and new this year is each grade has a wish that we will help them receive. Look for information to come home soon.
Walk to School Day
- October 2nd, 7:00
- Meet at one of our 2 meeting points
- Lochridge and Fairway or Randolph and Fairway
- We will begin walking to school at 7:20
- Every child that attends walk to school day will be rewarded with a free pair of Lakewood sunglasses!
- October 21-25
- Monday - Impact Your World Day - Wear RED, WHITE, and BLUE (or Flag stuff)
- Tuesday - Fit2Live Day - Wear favorite sports jersey or active wear
- Wednesday - Safe School Day - Wear Lakewood or NLR gear
- Thursday - Healthy Mind Day - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday - Fit2Live for the Future - Wear What they want to be when they grow up
October 1 / Vision & Hearing (K, 1, 2, 4)
October 2 / Walk-to-School Day - 7:00
October 4 / Choir Auditions for 4th/5th grade students
October 4 / NLRSD Youth Basketball registration ends
October 7 / Father Daughter Dance - 6:00 - 8:00 - $40 couple - NLRHS Cafeteria
October 11 / NLR Spirit Dance - 5:30 - 7:00 - 3rd-5th grade only - LWE
October 11 / End of 1st Nine Weeks
October 15 / 8:15 - Assembly for 3rd-5th Grade Students
October 16 / 8:15 - Assembly for K-2 students
October 17 / Individual Picture Day
October 14 / First Cheer Practice - 5:30-6:30
October 21-25 / Fit2Live Week
October 31 / Fall Fundraiser - Color Run
November 3 / Daylight Savings Time ENDS
November 7 / Flu Clinic at Lakewood
November 8 / 1st Grade Field Trip to Ferncliff
November 11 / 1st Grade Veteran's Day Program
November 15 / 5th Grade Field Trip to Crystal Bridge Museum
November 21 / Thanksgiving Lunch in the Cafeteria
November 25 -29 / No School - Thanksgiving Holiday