Together in Learning and Faith
October 12, 2018 - Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School
We are Blessed
We are grateful to the parent volunteers who have committed to offering the milk program at Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School this year.
This year milk will be delivered on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As with past milk programs, only students who participate in the prepaid program will receive milk.
Students may choose either white or chocolate milk, and the milk will be delivered directly to their classrooms so that it is ready for them when they come in from lunch recess to eat at 12:14 pm.
Prepaid ordering will occur once this year. The cost for pre-ordered milk will be $45.00/child or $85.00/two children for delivery from Tuesday, October 23rd to Thursday, June 20th. (The credit for two children will have to be completed manually; please allow up to 2 weeks to process the credit. This credit can then be applied to the field trip/special presentation fee that will be assessed at the end of October. If you have not received the credit after 2 weeks, please contact the school.)
In the event that a student is absent for an extended period of time (more than 12 days) then arrangements can be made for a rebate. Any other absences will be considered as a kind donation to your hard working OLA Parent School Council.
Thank you for your support in our efforts to encourage and promote good nutrition!
OLA PSC Milk Program Committee
All milk orders will be placed online this year. To order please follow these simple steps:
- visit your PowerSchool ParentPortal account at https://powerschool.eics.ab.ca/public/
- please select the Forms and Fees tab on the left
- select Student Fees from the dropdown menu
- select your child from the menu bar at the top of the page
- select the 2018/19 Milk Order form
- complete the form and select Add to Cart
- to complete your order payment must be made once this form is finished
- click on the shopping cart icon found on the top right of the page to make your payment
- please call the school office at 780-998-3716 with any questions or concerns
DUE DATE FOR MILK PROGRAM PAYMENT: WEDNESDAY, OCT. 17, 2018
Power of Positivity
Last week we learned:
- Laughter is a great way to keep your thoughts positive.
- Holding onto a grudge does nothing to fix a bad situation and only reminds you of the hurt. Try to let go of things that happened in the past and focus on the present. Mindfulness and prayer can help clear your mind from any negative thoughts.
- Sometimes no matter how hard you try to think positive thoughts the negative thoughts sneak in. Finding someone to talk to can be a big help.
- We can increase our happy hormone through laughter! Share a joke today!
OLS School Council Volunteers
You can access a copy of the OLA School Council Volunteer Form 2018/2019 here. For more information about your OLA School Council please visit their page on our school website.
Playground meeting and election
Thursday, October 18, 7:00 pm
St. John Paul II School
Now that school has settled in, I am sure you are aware of the need for outdoor spaces for your new (or new to you) schools.
For anyone new to our Fort Saskatchewan Catholic schools, we are four Catholic schools that have been restructured from three Catholic schools upon the completion of a new Catholic high school. Within the restructuring process we have the following changes:
1. St. John XXIII (SJXXIII) (grades K-4) has half the number of students as half of the students were reallocated to OLA.
2. Our Lady of the Angels (OLA) has changed from a middle school (grades 5-8) into an elementary school (grades K-4).
3. St. John Paul II (JPII) has changed from a high school (grades 9-12) into a middle school (grades 5-8).
4. St. Andre Bessette (SAB) is a new build for a high school (grades 9-12).
These changes were much needed, and have resulted in the playgrounds, equipment and outdoor spaces needing some attention:
1. OLA (grades K-4): has 30-year-old playground equipment appropriate for a middle school
2. JPII (grades 5-8): does not have any playground or outdoor play structures since it had been a high school
3. JPII (grades 5-8): we will need to remove half of the parking lot to make room for an outdoor play structure
4. SAB (grades 9-12): does not have any outdoor gathering spaces and needs benches or picnic tables
5. SJXXIII (grades K-4): due to school enrollment at full capacity for so long, the playground is worn. It is in need of $40,000 worth of repairs.
We are applying for grants and fundraising to replace old playgrounds and to build new ones where needed. We are fundraising as one community as we see our Catholic schools as one family, with close connections with each other. We plan on raising these funds together, and together building outdoor spaces adequate for all our Catholic schools. As ambitious as it sounds, we would like to complete our fundraising within 18 months.
We will have a meeting to elect an executive to carry these efforts forward. The executive would be responsible for working with the respective school principals, continuing to stay in contact with our grant’s writer, and securing a company to purchase playground and outdoor equipment.
Please attend this meeting on Thursday, October 18th at 7:00 pm at
St. John Paul II School (9975 – 93 Ave. Fort Saskatchewan, AB.)
Pope John XXIII Parent Society Chair
OLA's Halloween Celebrations
Classes will begin to organize for their class parties right after lunch recess, and get into their costumes. At 1:20 pm we will come together as an OLA community for a dance party and costume celebration until 1:50 pm. The students will then head outside for their recess as fresh air is important for their healthy growth, and return to celebrate in their classrooms.
Parents may be asked to help bring snacks for the in-class celebrations and we thank you in advance for honouring our AP 168: EICS Nutrition Policy by bringing healthy snacks for the celebrations. Candies brought to school will be respectfully returned home.
In need of some creative ideas for healthy treats? Over the next few weeks, we will include some ideas to help you on your way. Thank you in advance for your healthy contributions to in-class Halloween parties!
This Week Around OLA . . .
Looking Ahead . . .
Friday, October 12
- Kindergarten class today
- 6:00 - 7:30 pm First class for First Reconciliation Preparation at OLA Church
Monday, October 15
- Monday Morning Faith Assembly 9:00 am - everyone welcome!
- MLA Jessica Littlewood shares her love of reading with students to celebrate ReadIn
- Fort Saskatchewan Public Library presents this year's YRCA (Young Readers' Choice Awards) nominees with the Grade 4's
Dr. Jody Carrington Parent Series 7:00 pm at the Shell Theatre - click here for more info
Tuesday, October 16
- Parenting in the Digital Age at Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School in Sherwood Park from 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Wednesday, October 17
- Grade 4 Mass & Bible presentation with St. John XXIII Grade 4's 9:30 am at OLA Church
Thursday, October 18
- Playground Meeting 7:00 pm at St. John Paul II Catholic School
Friday, October 19
- Kindergarten Field Trip to the Telus World of Science
- Grades 1 - 4 attend Alberta Opera Performance 9:30 am at St. John XXIII
Looking A Little Further Ahead...
22 - Kindergarten Safely On Board Presentation
26 - Grade 4 Field Trip to Salto Gymnastics
26 - PSC Halloween Dance - more details coming soon!
29 - Lifetouch Picture Retake Day
22- School Council Meeting 7 p.m.
For more upcoming dates, please visit our website calendar.
"Praying is not like using a magic wand. Prayer requires commitment, constancy and determination."
October 11, 2018