THE HISTORY OF STILLMAN COLLEGE

STILLMAN COLLEGE PICTURE

THE HISTORY OF STILLMAN COLLEGE

Stillman college,authorized by general assembly of the presbyterian church in united states in 1876 and was characted as a legal corporation by the states of alabama in 1895. At that time, the name was change from tuscalooosa institute to stillman institute. The institute was a concept initiated by the reverend DR.CHARLES ALLEN STILLMAN ,pastor of first presbyterian church of tuscaloosa.

The mandate for the institution expaned over the year and it acquired its present campus tract of over 100 accres.

Under the administration of DR.SAMUEL BURNEY HAY (1948-1965) the school sought to expand into o senior liberal arts institution and in 1948 the name was officially changed to stillman colllege.