SHMS Weekly Info
February 3rd to 7th
Good Evening Stone Hill Students, Parents, and Staff,
Congratulations to our drama club students for an awesome weekend of performances of The Wizard of Oz. The show was amazing! Thank you to our wonderful directors, Mrs. Mills and Mr. Schlaf and our PTO for their hard work and dedication to our Stone Hill Dramatic Arts Club.
Our Stone Hill Mathcounts team placed second this weekend and is advancing to the Mathcounts State competition on March 14th in Glen Allen, VA. Avni Garg placed first amongst all students. Avni, Rohan, Soham and Arnav placed in the top 12 students and advanced to the countdown round. Rohan Matta placed first in the countdown round and Soham Jain placed second in the countdown round. Congratulations to all of our students who competed this weekend!
To commemorate Black History Month at Stone Hill Middle School, we will be showcasing influential African Americans daily during Advisory along with other activities. PTO is also sponsoring an essay contest which will feature 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from each grade level. The winners will also have their essays on display. More information will be forthcoming from PTO regarding the essay contest.
This week we will be holding our Quarterly Learning Celebrations and we will be having a spirit week. Please see the flyer below to see how to show your school spirit each day!
The February PBIS word of the month is Empathy. We will be recognizing students during the month of February who are demonstrating empathy as our Students of the Month!
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @StoneHillMiddle to see all the amazing things our students and staff are doing at SHMS!
Please check out our Grade Level Stingray Reports:
At SHMS we have a Unified Mental Health Team that is responsible for coordinating and providing a continuum of school-based prevention and intervention supports and services to address the social, emotional, and behavioral needs of all our students. Please check out our UMHT Newsletter.
SHMS Upcoming Events:
- Yearbooks – SHMS yearbooks are still available to order for the 2019-2020 school year! Yearbooks are $35 and the last day to order is February 6th. We will NOT have copies for sale at the end of the school year -- so please reserve your child's yearbook today! Order at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/, order number 13630. If you have any questions, please contact Alicia Young at Alicia.email@example.com.
- 7th Grade Dance – The SCA will be hosting the 7th grade dance from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Friday, February 21st. There will be a DJ and snacks and the admission is free. Permission forms will be going out soon and they will be due back no later than Thursday, February 20th if you plan to attend the dance. Come with your friends and enjoy some fun!
- Virginia Math League - VML registration is now open. It can be found in the Math Department link on the Stone Hill Website. The test will be given after school on Tuesday, February 18th. Pick-up will be at 4:25 pm. There are no activity buses. Registration closes January 30th.
Counseling Department Information
Course Selection Information:
Core and Foreign Language teachers have uploaded their recommendations into the Course Request tab in Student/ParentVUE. Students and parents can view those recommendations and can make changes to their elective choices only! Please contact your child’s teacher first to request a change to a core class.
Course Selection Window:
- Students and parents can view and change elective choices in Student/ParentVUE.
- Rising 7th, Rising 8th, and Rising 9th Graders: January 13th to February 7th.
- Any changes made after February 7th will need to go through your grade level counselor. The final deadline to request a change is May 1st.
February Parent Coffee: Margie Lang-Garnart, from Evergreen Counseling Center will be here to present "Anxiety in Adolescence: What's a Parent to Do?". Adolescents naturally experience anxiety about social situations, physical changes, school performance, family stress and larger, more global realities. This workshop will examine anxiety and the beliefs, perspectives and behaviors that exacerbate anxiety. We will look at perfectionism and its role to play in anxiety as well as societal trends that intensify anxiety. This workshop will also provide strategies for parents to help their child's capacity for coping with and conquering anxiety. It will be held on Friday, February 7th at 9:30am in the Stone Hill Library.
National School Counseling Week
This week is National School Counseling Week and we are excited to celebrate our amazing counseling team at SHMS! Thank you for all that you do for our students and school community!
Week at a Glance
- The next PTO meeting will be held Tuesday, March 31st at 6:30 p.m. in the media center. We hope to see you there!
- We will be hosting the candy bar for the teachers to enjoy on Friday, February 14th. Please look for an email in the near future to sign up to donate candy for this fun event for the staff at SHMS!