Fed Emergency Relief Administration
Denis Avdic, Jullian Morones
When was it Created?
This Program was created in 1932 by Herbert Hoover.
- On May 22, 1933, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) was inaugurated.
- Herbert Hoover: 31st President of the U.S.
- Successor:Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- After Hoovers collapse, F.D.R (Franklin Delano Roosevelt) came to the rescue when he renamed it FERA
What did it do?
- This program provided money for relief to states/cities.
- It created Jobs and helped those who were unemployed.
- They provided work for 20 million people. v v (FERA camps for unemployed women below)
How Effective was it?
- Millions of unemployed people were put to work.
- FERA gaves States and Localities $31b
In 1935, FERA was terminated and its work has been taken over by the Work Progress Administration(WPA) and the Social Security Act(SSA).
- SSA: 1935 law that established unemployment insurance; insurance for victims of work related incidents and a set up of pension system for retirees.
- WPA: 1935, provided work relief through various public works projects.