Girls' Geek Day
Girls' Geek Days - 2019/20
Girls' Geek Day is free, but registration is required and space is limited. Families from the host school get access to online registration a week before it opens to the public. You can expect registration to open at least 3 weeks prior to the event. Mark you calendar now for the 2019/20 Girls' Geek Days!
- October 12 - Crozet Elementary
- November 9 - Cale Elementary
- December 14 - Broadus Wood Elementary
- January 11 - Meriwether Lewis Elementary
- February 15 - St. Anne's-Belfield School
- March 14 - Stone Robinson Elementary
- April 18 - Greer Elementary
What are Girls' Geek Days?
Girls' Geek Day started in 2013 as one event at Crozet Elementary with 30 girls. In 2018/19, nine Girls' Geek Days were hosted by Crozet, Broadus Wood, Meriwether Lewis, Greer, St. Anne's-Belfield School, Stone Robinson and Cale Elementary as well as UVA GradSWE and ESTEAM with over 500 participants representing more than 30 area schools!
Girls' Geek Days are all about sparking elementary school-aged girl’s interest in technology and computing by providing a fun, collaborative, hands-on environment to learn new tech skills and helping them connect to other STEM programs in the community.
In the News
- School Hosts Event to Encourage Young Girls' Interest in 'STEM' Subjects (NBC29, February 2016)
- NOT Grandpa's Science Class: Girls Geek Day (WMRA, November 2015)
- Girls’ Geek Day with Paula White (WTJU, February 2015)
A very special thanks to all our Girls’ Geek Day volunteers!!! Our dozens of volunteers have led activities with the girls including Hummingbird Robotics, LEGO Mindstorms Robotics, littleBits, Architecture w/Legos, Coding on the Minis (Blockly, CargoBot, LightBot), Minecraft, Made with Code, Coding thru Games, CS Unplugged, Engineering Design Challenges, GoldiBlox, Hour of Code, 3Doodler, Keva Plank Challenges, LOGO, MaKey MaKey, Rollercoasters, Sphero, Sticky Circuits, Thimble, Video Production, Scratch, Leap Motion, Math Challenges, Image Editing & Ozobots.
Girls’ Geek Days are not possible without our volunteers. Please encourage colleagues, parents, MS & HS girls to consider becoming a volunteer. No previous experience is required - you can learn right along with the girls.