Girls' Geek Day
We want to hear from you!
Virtual Girls' Geek Day
On May 9, 2020 we took Girls' Geek Day Virtual! Many thanks to our volunteer facilitators for offering some awesome activities for the girls to try out at home:
- Lily & Rae with UVA Society of Women Engineers
- Lisel, Becky & Ellie with STEAM Discovery Academy
- Ms. Fitz, K-8 librarian at St. Anne's-Belfield School
- Ms. Campbell, teacher at Greer Elementary
- Ms. Graff, teacher at Cale Elementary
- Viv, senior at St. Anne's-Belfield School
- Anna, freshman at Charlottesville High School
The activities with materials list and video tutorials are now available online for anyone - click on the button below to check them out!
What are Girls' Geek Days?
Girls' Geek Day started in 2013 as one event at Crozet Elementary with 30 girls. In 2018/19, nine Girls' Geek Days were hosted by Crozet, Broadus Wood, Meriwether Lewis, Greer, St. Anne's-Belfield School, Stone Robinson and Cale Elementary as well as UVA GradSWE and ESTEAM with over 500 participants representing more than 30 area schools!
Girls' Geek Days are all about sparking elementary school-aged girl’s interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) by providing a fun, collaborative, hands-on environment to learn new skills and helping them connect to other STEM programs in the community.
In the News
- Girls' Geek Day inspires girls to explore STEM (February 2020, CBS19)
- Girls' Geek Day held at Meriwether Lewis Elementary School (January 2020, CBS19)
- School Hosts Event to Encourage Young Girls' Interest in 'STEM' Subjects (NBC29, February 2016)
- NOT Grandpa's Science Class: Girls Geek Day (WMRA, November 2015)
- Girls’ Geek Day with Paula White (WTJU, February 2015)
A very special thanks to all our Girls’ Geek Day volunteers!!! Our dozens of volunteers have led activities with the girls including Hummingbird Robotics, LEGO Mindstorms Robotics, littleBits, Architecture w/Legos, Coding on the Minis (Blockly, CargoBot, LightBot), Minecraft, Made with Code, Coding thru Games, CS Unplugged, Engineering Design Challenges, GoldiBlox, Hour of Code, 3Doodler, Keva Plank Challenges, LOGO, MaKey MaKey, Rollercoasters, Sphero, Sticky Circuits, Thimble, Video Production, Scratch, Leap Motion, Math Challenges, Image Editing & Ozobots.
Girls’ Geek Days are not possible without our volunteers. Please encourage colleagues, parents, MS & HS girls to consider becoming a volunteer. No previous experience is required - you can learn right along with the girls.