Virtual Book Club
Teaching With The Brain In Mind
Professional Development Opportunity (Act 48 eligible)
Dates: January 18-March 20
This completely revised and updated ASCD best-seller is loaded with ideas for how to improve student achievement and create a more effective classroom by applying brain research to your teaching.
Renowned author and educator Eric Jensen translates the latest scientific findings into effective instructional strategies, including
- Why to start every class with opening activities that put students into receptive states.
- How to tempt students to focus more attention on learning tasks.
- Why to use compelling questions, personal stories, controversies, and celebrations in your teaching.
- How seating, room temperature, lighting, and noise affect learning.
- Why making your classroom a more positive social experience improves achievement.
Get the newest insights on how your students are wired for learning and how their learning behaviors change as they mature. And equip your teaching with tips and techniques drawn from brain research:
- Seven factors that dramatically influence a successful learning process.
- Five forms of repetition to include in a well-planned curriculum.
- The exact amount of time to spend on direct instruction in each lesson, at each grade level.
- Proven guidelines for activating the intrinsic motivation in every student.
- The number of times per week and length of time that students should practice a new skill.
- The best way to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for every class period.