Beck Weekly Update
Parent Info for Summer 2022
Hello Beck Families!
I hope you are enjoying your Summer! Our school year is over, but we are already planning for another wonderful school year for 2022-2023!
School Calendar 2022-2023, click here: Calendar - Utica Community Schools (uticak12.org)
Breakfast & Lunch for Fall 2022: The federal government will no longer be providing free breakfast and lunch to all students. Starting in the fall of 2022, students will need to purchase a breakfast or lunch (costs to come soon). Families in need can complete a Free/Reduced Lunch application for fall 2022 AFTER July 1, 2022. More information is located under the UCS menu below.
Many of you have asked about Technology Fees:
Here is some info on how technology fees are assessed:
- Student has an issue with their device (iPads/laptops). If the issue is not able to be resolved with support from the UCS Help Desk, student is provided a replacement device and the non-working/broken device is sent to UCS for assessment and repair
- A repair ticket is generated for UCS Help Desk to pick up the device and repair. The ticket outlines the reported problem with the device.
- UCS Technology team picks up the device, takes to the technology office, assesses the issue and what is needed for repair.
- If there is damage to the device: a report for cost of repair is issued.
- The fee to repair is sent back to UCS school buildings, entered into Power School and an invoice issued to parents for the repair.
- Insurance covers many repairs at a free or reduced cost, up to three incidents. After three incidents, full price is assessed.
- Insurance will be offered for purchase in Fall 2022--watch the Beck Weekly Update for information. Insurance does not cover lost/stolen devices or charging cables.
Paying a technology fee online: You can pay a technology fee online using the link below for Pay Schools. If you do not already have a Pay Schools account, you will need to create an account. You can use Pay Schools to pay for other UCS related items as well, including Technology Insurance in the fall:
Beck Alumni Celebrates with Class of 2022
Beck Walking Club
Beck Walking Club - Healthy Body and Healthy Mind!
Classrooms have been tracking their laps (miles walked) and competing with each other. The challenge was to see which class(es) could walk 500 miles total! Mr. Barthelmeh's 5th grade class was the first to hit 500 miles! They earned a 'cool treat' for their efforts! Before the year ended Mrs. Cairns class also hit the 500 mile mark and earned their treat, too!
UCS JOB FAIR - JUNE 22
Utica Community Schools is hosting a Job Fair on Wednesday, June 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Davis Junior High School, 11311 Plumbrook (west of Dodge Park Road) in Sterling Heights. Applications are being accepted for a wide variety of positions, including bus drivers, mechanics, skilled trades, food service, clerical, teaching, adult education teachers, substitutes, paraprofessionals and childcare.
Prospective applicants will be able to meet with hiring managers and current staff members in each job group, as well as interview onsite. Please visit this website for additional information.
To be a UCS staff member is to be part of our success story with a long legacy of excellence. We are looking for others who share this same commitment to the future and their community by joining our team.
Free and Reduced Lunch Program
The Department of Health and Human Services has provided notice to families qualifying for P-EBT benefits. Families that have not received notice but believe they qualify can complete a reconsideration form.
Students eligible for free and reduced meals or those attending a CEP building who were absent due to COVID, may qualify for P-EBT benefits.
Please refer to the attached notice regarding eligibility for the Pandemic EBT program. Families that believe they should be reconsidered for benefits can complete the reconsideration form located at www.michigan.gov/pebt. Parents/guardians are responsible for completing sections 1, 2 and 4. Completed forms can be sent to your school’s main office or the office of Food and Nutrition Services.
UPCOMING EVENTS TO ADD TO YOUR CALENDAR:
August 30th, 2022 - First Day of School - Half Day (8:40 - 11:45 a.m.)
August 31, September 1 - Full Days of School
No School Friday, September 2 - Monday, September 5, for Labor Day Weekend
September 6 - School resumes
September 14 - No School, Teacher Professional Development Day