Vol. 2:3 - 2016
Mark Your Calendars! -- Fall YSIE Meeting
Tuesday, Sep. 6th, 9:30am-12:30pm
323 4th Avenue Northeast
Once Upon a Reader & Ten Pigs!
Ten Pigs is up and running in Minnesota! Derek Anderson has begun his travels across the state entertaining and educating kids in each participating regional library system with his “Ten Pigs Trunk Show.”
Kits & Resources -- Available for booking are the two waterproof and reusable Story Strolls. These are sign-sized book pages that allow you to display the Ten Pigs story outside a library or along a path. There is also an Epic Storytime Kit, which includes a copy of Ten Pigs, and a 15-piece Ten Pigs Play Kit. The Once Upon a Reader website also provides other free and downloadable resources include a Ten Pigs scavenger hunt, matching game, drawing activity, bubble adventure, and more!
As Once Upon a Reader ramps up in earnest, library staff are encouraged to join with peers across the state in OUR Resource Share, a Facebook group devoted to the sharing of Once Upon a Reader photos and stories, programming ideas, and resource suggestions. In addition to keeping the conversation going, this Facebook resource allows members to share and download documents where helpful.
Book Distribution to Head Starts & Day Cares -- Things are being sorted and boxed up.
- Books have been inventoried and we'll begin boxing things up soon according to survey responses. All boxes will be placed into delivery no later than Friday, April 15th.
- We will drop things into delivery as they are ready. Each location will receive an e-mail from us when this occurs. The e-mail will contain a detailed list of how many, what the boxes contain, and what's expected to go with the books for distribution.
- If you did not respond to the distribution survey earlier, we will be following up with you to see if the non-response was a "no" or just a "forgot to respond"
Trunk Shows -- We're fortunate to have Derek Anderson traveling within the SELCO region for 12 shows during the last two weeks in June. Click HERE, to see just when Derek will be in a community near you.
- Promotional materials consisting of posters, quarter sheets, and specially designed regional bookmarks will be coming to you with the books.
- Trunk Shows are beginning around the state, keep up with what's happening via the Once Upon a Reader Facebook page.
- Like last year, SELCO staff will be available at each trunk show to help local library staff. We will provide more specific details regarding arrival times, set-up, etc., as we get closer to the shows themselves.
Contact SELCO if you have any questions.
YALSA Professional Learning Series
YALSAblog, if you're not already reading it, launched in March the YALSA Professional Learning series of posts on innovation and change. Each month the new series will featuer a topic and will give readers a chance to learn more about it as well as interact with their peers on the optic. Here's what's involved:
- "On the first of each month the YALSAblog will post an overview of the topic of the month. That overview will include links to resources to read, watch, listen to, etc.
- If you are interested in participating in the learning during the month, comment on the initial blog post to say something like, “yes, I’m in.”
- Each week the facilitator of the topic – that’s me this month – will check-in with participants with a post that poses questions and helps to focus conversation on the topic.
- Participants can converse with others about the topic by commenting on those posts."
Here's the link to the original post where the first theme for March was "Thinking Differently".
Sponsored by the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) in collaboration with the White House, Civic Nation, and U.S. Department of Education.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Safe Space Training for Youth Workers
When: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 1:00-4:00p
Where: Rochester Public Library, Meeting Room C (First Floor)
Libraries Serving Youth Meetup
Join dozens of colleagues at this annual opportunity for school and public librarians to meet, network and share ideas in a casual, yet educational setting. We'll meet at MDE in Roseville on Saturday, April 16, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Get creative ideas, connect with like-minded professionals about issues important to you, and learn about diversity in children’s literature from Cathy Camper—author of the critically-acclaimed and fan-favorite graphic novel, Lowriders in Space. At the Meetup, you'll also get a sneak peek at Lowriders to the Center of the Earth, scheduled to hit bookstore and library shelves on July 5, 2016. Lunch is provided so register today to ensure you’ll be fed. For more information, please contact Jen Verbrugge (651-582-8356).
This info is pulled directly from the updates put out by the State Library Services team.
Third Annual CYP Unconference - Registration now open!
The Third Annual CYP Unconference will be held on Friday, April 29 from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm at the Brainerd Public Library.
What is an Unconference? It's a conference where we'll hear from marvelous Minnesota children's librarians on their areas of expertise. This is a chance to share what we know best, and a place to ask questions and share ideas and best practices.
This year our Unconference will focus on STEM programming. Staff from the TPT show "SciGirls" will be giving a training session on how to conduct STEM programs. You will also have the opportunity to share STEM program ideas with other librarians in the area.
We are hosting the Unconference at the Brainerd Public Library to accommodate those who do not live in the metro area. To that end, the conference will begin at 11:00 am to allow attendees time to travel to the area from other parts of the state. We will end our conference at 3:00 pm to allow driving time back home.
We ask any non-MLA members to contribute $10 towards this event. If you are an MLA member, the event is free of charge.
If you are interested in attending, you can register on the MLA Website. If you have any questions, please contact Monica Stratton, your current CYP Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also find a more detailed description of the event on the MLA-CYP page.
2016 Twin Cities Teen Lit Con!
Spend the day at the 2016 Twin Cities Teen Lit Con celebrating teen literature, promoting reading and writing and creating a community of readers by connecting teens and authors. This year's author line-up includes:
- Leigh Bardugo
- Faith Erin Hicks
- Jason Reynolds
- Neal Shusterman
- S.A. Bodeen
- John Coy
- Pete Hautman
- Dawn Klehr
- Monica Ropal
- Derek E. Sullivan
Who Should Attend
Anyone who wants to!
When - SATURDAY, May 7, 2016 | 10:00am to 4:00pm
Cost - FREE!!!! (No registration required)
Where - Henry Sibley High School, 1897 Delaware Avenue, Mendota Heights, MN 55118 (Map)