SCCS Home Bulletin
November 10, 2021
FROM DR. B.
Happy Wednesday, Trailblazers!
We continue with our series of the ABCs of SCCS, with a focus on H = history this week.
It was February 1903 that the first permanent Christian school society west of the Mississippi River was formed in Sioux Center. Dutch settlers coming from other areas of Iowa moved to Sioux Center to begin a new community. At the first meeting, Rev. J. Smitters called on the conviction of several church members to be willing to provide for distinctive Christian training for covenant children. The first building was a 30 ft. by 40 ft. two-story wooden structure on Main Street, constructed at the cost of $530, and the school was incorporated in Iowa in 1904. On the 3rd of April in 1905, 50 students walked from the public school down the street to begin class at the new Christian school. The first principal was Mr. R. Barlow, who was also the first teacher. In the fall, there were 61 kids, so they hired one more teacher. Once they got to 100 students, a 3rd teacher was added.
In the 1920s, enrollment steadily increased, but there was a shortage of funds. On March 24, 1924, the school society met to discuss whether the school should remain open. God’s faithfulness prevailed, with the school staying open. In the 1930s, dedication continued, with teachers and janitors working without pay to keep the school going. In the 1940s, the school society approved building a new, four-room brick school, which is still part of the building used today (3rd grade classroom area). Principal A.J. Boersma was hired and is credited with growing the school. Rev. B.J. Haan reinvigorated the Christian school movement and pushed for a new building, which increased enrollment. In the 1950s, two more classrooms were added, enrollment grew from 120 students to 339 students, and the music and band programs began. The Fair Share program (now called the Legacy Plan) also began as a distinct way for the home, church, and school to work together to provide families accessibility to Christian education. In the 1960s, the kitchen, an activity room, and 8 classrooms were added. 1965 was the school’s 60th anniversary. In the 1970s, the gym and locker rooms were added. The central library was also set up. In the 1980s, the junior high (now called middle school) wing was completed. In the 1990s, new classrooms and administrative space were added. Technology also expanded. In the 2000s, the school celebrated its 100th anniversary, and programs like the school-wide storyline chapels, drama, and inclusive education began in earnest. The 2010s brought much change as well, with new faculty and programs being added, including tier 3 services, alternate forms of revenue, a summer program, Teaching for Transformation, and Mission Directed Governance. Portable classrooms were added to the campus to house expanding student enrollment. The school also completed the largest building expansion in its history, and the generous support of SCCS constituents completed the funding in May 2021.
Our school is currently in its 117th year of operation, which is a huge testament to the faithfulness of God. His faithfulness has been shown through the many teachers, staff members, trustees, parents, and students who have worked at, supported, and attended Sioux Center Christian School. We continue on the longest stretch of high enrollment in our school’s history, and we continue to experience the passion of Christian education. The Reformed perspective remains strong, alive, and vibrant.
As you look over the history of the school, it’s impossible to miss God’s faithfulness. Fifty students began in the building in April 1905, and we currently have 511 students enrolled. Even through hard times, school supporters have chosen to keep the school open, send their children to the school, and support it in an effort to further God’s Kingdom with His covenant children. There have been so many opportunities for the school to “quit”, yet God has been faithful through His people.
We praise God for His faithfulness, and we thank you for your support!
Have a great rest of your week.
BUS INFORMATION FOR FRIDAY
If you ordered school pictures, they were sent home on Tuesday. Please check your child's backpack. If you have any questions about your order, please e-mail email@example.com.
REMIND TEXT ALERTS FOR WEATHER
We will be using the Remind system again for our weather alerts so that you can receive a text. We will also be posting on Bloomz.
If you would like to sign up to receive a text alert, please text the information below (depending on your last name) to 81010. We need to be a little creative to still use the free account. 😊
Last Name A-D: text @sccsa-d to 81010
Last Name E-K: text @sccse-k to 81010
Last Name L-P: text @sccsl-p to 81010
Last Name Q-T: text @sccsq-t to 81010
Last Name U-V: text @sccsu-v to 81010
Last Name W-Z: text @sccsw-z to 81010
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- There will be no school on November 24-26 for Thanksgiving Break.
- The Fall Instrumental (6-8 band/4-8 orchestra) and Choral Concert (5-8) will be on November 29 at Dordt University in the BJ Haan Auditorium.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED IN THE ART ROOM
Volunteers needed in the Art Room: We are entering into a very busy season in the art room! We use a lot of materials and tools which require a lot of clean up. In order to maximize the amount of time that students are engaged in creating, I am asking for some volunteers to help with tool and desk clean-up from 11:30-12:15 everyday. To sign up click here.
Contact Mrs. De Jong (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
K-4th Grade Art Teacher: Sioux Center Christian School invites you to consider the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty and staff, passionate parents, and fantastic students through the position of K-4th grade art teacher, with a start date of August 1, 2022. The ideal candidate loves God, loves kids, and loves learning.
You will partner with the current 5th-8th grade art teacher and be responsible for fulfilling the following:
- Instill a love of God’s creation, design, and beauty in grades K-4 students
- Teach art classes for K-4th graders (3 sections of each grade level for a total of 15 sections), with each section meeting once weekly
- Work with school leaders to develop an art curriculum that meets state and national standards
- Partner with classroom teachers in the development of art curriculum
- Provide opportunities for students to develop skills in art and to display their art for real audiences
- Provide opportunities for students to do real work for real people with real needs using the Teaching for Transformation framework
The art position is considered 0.4 FTE and can be combined with other potential positions at SCCS to make a full-time position.
You will be joining a team filled with people who love to collaborate, love to fulfill the school’s mission statement, love to work with students, and love to keep growing. Applicants should be endorsed to teach elementary art in Iowa and should be familiar with the Teaching for Transformation and Response to Intervention frameworks or the willingness to learn. Interested applicants should complete the faculty application package, located at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm, and send to Josh Bowar, head of school, at email@example.com with all required materials. A review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Food Service Specialist: Sioux Center Christian School is advertising for the position of food service specialist to provide leadership for the school lunch program. This person will arrange for purchasing of all supplies, maintain inventory, provide production sheets for meals, plan monthly menus, order food, organize the daily work schedule of school lunch staff, keep accurate records and submit government reports, supervise school lunch staff, and provide a positive, encouraging atmosphere in the kitchen through their leadership. This leadership position will oversee the school lunch program under the direction of the director of operations, working Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM to 2:00 PM daily when school is in session and may work during special school events and at the end of August each year to prepare for the school year. The person will perform administrative tasks approximately 4 days a week and will help on the serving line 1 day a week. Candidates must possess a BA degree, due to state regulations, and should demonstrate a strong work ethic, initiative, people skills, organization, a commitment to Christian education and following Christ, and a love for serving others. We invite you to join a fantastic team that provides a very important service to our students through the lunch program! To apply, submit the staff application (available at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm) and a resume to Josh Bowar, head of school, firstname.lastname@example.org. A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Substitute Teachers: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please contact Carmen Mulder (email@example.com) if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
Parent Visit Days
Parent Visit Days at SCCS: We take seriously our calling to partner with parents in the education of their children. We value this partnership! We want to invite you into the school so you can experience what’s happening in the classroom with your students. To do that, every grade level will be hosting a parent visit day. You are invited to join us for some time in the classroom and a free lunch with your child.
More information for the following visit days will be sent out later:
- Dec. 2 - 1st grade (10:15-11:15- classrooms/11:15-11:45- lunch)
- Dec. 9 - 2nd grade (10:30-11:30- classrooms/11:30-12:00- lunch)
- Jan. 13 - 3rd grade (10:30-11:30- classrooms/11:30-12:00-lunch)
- Jan. 20 - 4th grade (10:45-11:45- classrooms/11:45-12:15-lunch)
- Feb. 3 - 5th grade (11:00-12:00- classrooms/12:00-12:30- lunch)
- Feb. 10 - 6th grade (11:00-12:00- classrooms/12:00-12:30- lunch)
- March 10- 7th & 8th grade (11:15-12:15- classrooms/12:15-12:45- lunch)
IMPACT OUR TREASURED STUDENTS
You can give a donation that impacts our students while also receiving 75% of your donation back!
How is this possible??
When you make a donation to NICSTO (Northwest Iowa Christian Schools Tuition Organization), you receive an IOWA TAX CREDIT certificate valued at 75% of your donation.
Sioux Center Christian receives 100% of your gift and grants it to students who qualify.
We are over halfway to our goal of $316,242!
Even though donations can officially be received through December 31, we really need most donations to come in by December 1. Why? Some schools within the NICSTO group of sixteen Christian schools have reached their goal and, if it looks like we will not completely reach our goal, some of ours is given to those schools. We love all the Christian schools in NICSTO, but we’d also love to reach our full goal to fully impact the SCCS students who need it. If you need to wait to write a check until after December 1, but know the approximate amount you want to contribute, please connect with Amy Vander Berg (712.441.4530 or firstname.lastname@example.org) by the end of November.
Learn more about this giving opportunity: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/support/nicsto.cfm
Forms are available by the TRIP window or at the link above.
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Carmen Mulder (email@example.com).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact school 24 hours in advance.
BOGO FLATBREAD PIZZA CARDS
BOGO Flatbread Pizza Cards - During the month of November, Covenant CRC is once again partnering with the Fruited Plain in selling Buy One Get One Flatbread Pizza Cards. $25 gets you 5 free pizzas (a $64.95 value). You can purchase a card at the SCCS office OR at the Fruited Plain. $10 of every sale goes to the Covenant CRC Christian Education fund.
NEW LIFE SCCS LEGACY FUNDRAISER
The New Life Church Legacy Team is selling frozen sugar cookies that are cutout in Christmas shapes (snowman, stars, trees) as a fundraiser. They are sold for $6/dozen. Orders will be ready to pick up at Sioux Center Christian School on Tuesday, November 16 from 3-6pm. You may order through noon on Tuesday, Nov. 16 (but don’t wait until the last minute! :) )
Place orders here: https://www.cognitoforms.com/NewLifeLegacyPlan/_2021FrozenChristmasCutOutCookieDoughOrder or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
Riptide Youth Wrestling
Arena Basketball Skills Camp for grades 5-6
Lone Wolf Wrestling Club
Unity Christian Dance Team Kids Camp for grades K-5
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate your favorite SCCS faculty or staff member who goes above and beyond for the Pella Staff award! Nomination forms can be found here or are available by the TRIP window. Each month a winner is chosen and receives a $500 gift card from Sioux Center Pella Corp, which can be used to impact learning! Nominations are due by the 25th of each month and can be returned to our school office or mailed/dropped off at Pella Corp.
- Explore Western is Tuesday, November 16 from 7-8pm. Hear “staff stories” about student services, fine arts programs, student activities, a refreshed vision of the Bible curriculum, and most importantly all the ways that your faith will be developed and strengthened here at Western. At Western we believe that everything we do is an act of worshipping God, and we invite you into this story! Check out our new mission statement that clearly articulates “who we are” and “what we do” and our celebration video which highlights all the blessings that Western is “giving thanks” and “celebrating.” This night is targeted for families with children in grades 3-8 but anyone interested in Western is welcome. Hope to see you there!
- Unity Christian Middle School Open House: All middle school students (6th-8th grade) and their parents are invited to Unity Christian's Middle School Open House, November 18, 2021, 7:00-8:30 pm to learn more about Unity and get a head start on high school. We will meet in the Knight Center from 7:00-7:30 and then break out into sectionals.
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED