VA Thespian Update
VA Thespians Kudos & Happenings
February 2023: Cold Weather, Warm Hearts
We had a FANTASTIC record-breaking Virginia Thespians Festival this year! Over 20 performances, 400+ competitors, almost 40 different schools represented, about 30 colleges represented, over 40 vendors, and so much more! Congratulations to all of our honorees, winners, competitors, and attendees for showing your dedication to your art form/ passions at VTF! Happy Black History Month, VHSL competitions for certain districts, winter shows, & more!
We hope you join us again next year or consider coming for the first time. We had over 1k people laughing, performing, teching, and more together. Let's keep showing our colleagues, politicians, etc. that we are Virginia Theatre Strong! Speaking of strong theatre choices, next month is Theatre in our Schools Month! Stay tuned!
Follow us on social media @vathespians or Virginia Thespians for more information and updates! We would love to know how to support you this year. Please complete our 2023 Troupe Director Survey and our 2023 Attendee Survey.
Meet your 2023 VTF Honorees! Consider nominating a colleague today & stay tuned for 2024!
After reviewing our system, we found some more Thespys that qualify as superiors to move on. If you did not receive your superior ribbons and you are on our list, please send firstname.lastname@example.org an email so we can arrange to send you yours. Congratulations again to all those who competed!
FOR SENIORS- Join our alumni group!
Teacher Tool of the Month: Connecting with local artists
ANOTHER TEACHER TIP!
THANK YOU TO OUR 2023 VTF SPONSORS!
Consider having a student rep from your school!
Join us for Virginia Thespian Teacher PD summer 2023!
Here's what you get this coming summer...
Your Full Conference (FCON) registration includes:
-1 room stay on August 8th
-Daily happy hour with FREE drinks & appetizers
-Two FULL days of PD with multiple options per session
-Boxed lunches for both days from Apple Spice Catering
*You can opt for the Basic Conference (BCON) option if you are commuting, sharing a room to split the room costs with a teacher friend, or plan to stay elsewhere.
*Register here and complete this form.
All hotel rooms (reserved through us) & meeting spaces will be at Drury Plaza Hotel: 11049 W Broad St, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Join us for Thespian Teacher PD!
How to Find out More...?
Virginia Thespians Alumni Group
Planning a field trip soon?
Join this mailing list for rich virtual panel discussions, up-and-coming works, & more!
ITS Inductions Checklist
1. Hold an interest meeting. Ask- Who is interested in becoming inducted into ITS?
2. Share out the point application for students to complete with their past and current theatrical experiences for certain point values.
3. Have students fill out the Member Google form, for the exact information you need to collect to put them into the official ITS/ EdTA system, and pay $35 for the one-time membership fee, which lasts them a lifetime. (More materials at the bottom of the newsletter to promote and explain ITS.)
4. Hold inductions. Here is a sample outline to use. You can create your own rituals, traditions, or if you are in a pinch, it can be less than 30 minutes before school starts or before a rehearsal for example.
5. Log into your myedta account to input all of your new inductees.
6. Pay the lump sum as the director, if your students didn't pay EdTA directly. Our suggestion is to collect the money as you typically do for school events, work with your bookkeeper or boosters to cut one check to EdTA to keep it simple.
7. Hold an end of year or semester celebration to hand out the new goodies when they are delivered to the school!
Don't have a troupe yet? Read more about the benefits and process here!
Join this art platform below for local artists, resources, and more!
Need information to share about Thespians or VTF?
Here is a Festival Guide for students or new troupe directors.
Why join or have an ITS troupe? Share with students & administrators!