Elementary Principals' Guide
What You Need to Know About the Redesigned SAT
What's Happening in Spring 2016?
- 9th Graders will take PSAT 8/9
- 10th Graders will take PSAT 10
- 11th Graders will take the SAT
- PSAT: April 12 & 13
- SAT: April 12
- Alignment to Career & College Readiness Standards
- Accepted by all Mi Universties
What are the Redesigned Features of the SAT?
The SAT Includes the Following Components:
- Reading Test
- Writing and Language Test
- SAT Essay (Required in Michigan)
- Math Test
The 2016 SAT has 8 Key Changes:
What does this mean for teaching & learning in my building?
English Language Arts
- Students need to build their reading stamina.
Provide close reading instruction across the content areas.
- Students should read a variety of informational and narrative texts--along with charts/graphs.
Ensure that a comprehensive word study & vocabulary component is part of daily instruction across content areas.
When problem solving, asking more than one question about a given scenario allows students to do more sustained thinking and explore situations in greater depth.
Require students to complete problems of all types.
- 1st Grade Problem-Solving
- 2nd Grade Problem-Solving
- 3rd Grade Problem-Solving
- 4th Grade Problem-Solving
- 5th Grade Problem-Solving