The Counselor's Corner
It's that time again! Group Counseling Sign Ups are here!
I hope that everyone's year is off to a great start! I am very excited to announce that we will begin our first series of small group counseling sessions in late September. This series will focus on strategies for academic success. Consider:
- Does your child need assistance with organization or time management skills?
- Would it benefit your child to learn new ways to study and prepare for tests?
- Would it be helpful for your child to learn skills for managing the varied demands of middle school?
This series of counseling groups will address these concerns and more! In addition, small group counseling is a wonderful opportunity for students to meet others, develop friendships and work through challenges in an accepting environment all while learning skills that will enable them to be successful in school. For general questions regarding group counseling, please see our FAQ's below.
To sign up for counseling groups, please see the descriptions and sign-up forms below. Sign ups are accepted on a first-come, first--serve basis only and are due by Tuesday, Sept. 22.
1st Grade Group: "Bear-y Good Students": Students will join Barney Bear as he learns about listening skills, following directions, and how to work quietly.
2nd Grade Group: STAR Students: Students will learn how to be a 'star' in school by learning how to use a textbook, how to follow oral/written directions, and listening skills.
3rd Grade Group: Road to Success: Students will take a journey that teaches them to improve their study habits.
4th Grade Groups: Climbing the Ladder: Students will learn and practice time management and organizational techniques.
5th Grade Group: Study Skills 5: Students will learn and practice test taking strategies, memorization techniques and organizational skills.
Middle School Groups
Sign up Forms
Printable Form: Please click here for a printable paper form. Please return this form to the counselor by Tuesday, Sept. 22.
Group Counseling FAQ's
1. When do the groups meet?
- Elementary Groups meet during the school day for about thirty minutes on a rotating schedule. Middle school groups rotate through two academic classes, one elective and lunch. Since we use a rotating schedule, students should only miss each class once over the course of 7 weeks.
- The teachers, students and I work together to ensure that that students are kept up to date on any work they might miss.
2. What do we do in group?
- We use group discussions, movies, games, and activities to learn and practice a particular skill.
3. How can my child participate in group?
- Please fill out the form provided here. Unfortunately, I can’t guarantee that I will facilitate each group listed. I will schedule the groups based on the students’ needs and interests. Thank you!