Robin, Kelsey, Caleb, and Maddie
5 Facts About The Lungs
- You can live with one lung, but it limits physical ability.
- People with asthma have difficulty breathing because the air tubes in their lungs become narrow and constricted.
- Smoking can cause lung cancer among other lung affecting diseases
- When the diaphram expands lungs are emptied of air and we exhale it outside.
- The studyof lung diseases is known as pulmonology.
The lungs are sponge like lobes. They look the same, but are not identical. A healthy lung will be pink and a non- healthy lung will be a greyish white. In a human body the lungs are located in the chest cavity of a human nearly over the heart. The lungs sit above the stomach and kidneys. The lungs are also covered by a thin membrane to protect them. The trachea is 4 inches long and less than an inch in diameter for most people. The trachea begins just under the larynx and runs down behind the Sternum. The trachea then divides into two smaller tubes called bronchi. There is one bronchus for each lung.
Other Body Systems
The Respiratory system works with other body systems such as the circulatory and muscular system. The blood in the circulatory system needs to receive oxygen from the respiratory system, and in order to breathe the body uses muscles (such as the abdominal muscles) to do so.
5 facts about your department
- Every minute we breathe in 13 pints of air.
- When resting, the average adult breathes 12-20 times a minute.
- We inhale about half a liter of water vapor in a whole day.
- An average person breathes in around 11,000 liters or air everyday.
- The human breathing mechanism is called Tidal Breathing, as our air comes out the same way it goes in.
Importance of lungs
The lung works in the Respiratory System by taking in oxygen and transferring it to the blood.
1 Effect of Removing Me
The human body is capable of functioning without one lung, but not without consequences. Physical movement would be limited because there would not be as much oxygen in the blood.
Diseases or Conditions
Without a lung, there would be lots of physical activities you wouldn’t be able to do. This condition would not let your body function properly because your blood wouldn’t be able to flow. The heart requires oxygen and without a lung you wouldn’t be able to have oxygen in your blood.
What Other Organ to Remove
If you do lay an organ off, it should be the left kidney, this is because you only need one kidney to survive.