Team Thomson News & Notes
February 13, 2017
Important Information for You!
Following up on Early Release Day!
Thank you all for your hard work last Wednesday! Whether you were working at Central continuing the unpacking and putting into practice the Common Core State Standards or attending PD at the Middle School, I heard from several of you what a beneficial day it was. I encourage each and everyone of you to stay focused and continue your own professional growth. I am very proud of this team and all that each of you do!
Please remember that all party volunteers must check with photo id and be on the student contact list. It would be very helpful if you could remind parents of this. Also, please remember that parents may sign their students out in the classroom on party day, but they have to sign them out on the sheets provided by the office.
On Valentines, I will be providing a little popcorn bar with various toppings and treats. Please stop by the lounge on Valentines Day for a little snack.
Thomson Mini QAR 2017
As you all know, Wednesday, Thomson will present our Mini QAR presentation. Thank you to all of our committees for getting their updated information to Melissa! I look forward to hearing our staff present to the district and community all the wonderful things that we have going on and the accomplishments we have made. There is much to be proud of!
This Thursday, we will wish Laura Johnson, Chris Dingman, and Melissa Barraco best wishes as they each leave Thomson to pursue different professional avenues. Each of you have left a lasting impact on the staff and students here, as I hope we have on you. A saying that I've heard many times, 'Once a Teddy, Always a Teddy', I send with each of you. In honor of their last day with us, the office staff will provide cake and ice cream to enjoy at lunch. Please make sure to stop by and wish them each the very best!
After meeting with the playground staff last week, there are a couple of things that we could use your assistance with:
- Hats & Gloves-Please be sure that you are checking students for hats and gloves. Last week there was one class that had 12 students without gloves in the lunchroom. While we have gloves for them to borrow, we also don't have an unlimited amount. I will continue to put things in the Tidbits, but if you could remind parents in your newsletters to remember to send hats and gloves each day that would be helpful.
- Rough Play-It seems that the rough play that we usually see in the spring is already beginning. Please remind your students that they need to keep their hands to themselves both in line and outside.
- Respect-The playground monitors are reporting that the students are not always being respectful in their responses to them. Additional teaching or reteaching on what it means to be respectful, should be done in each classroom as part of your morning or class meeting.
- Sharing Food-There also seems to be more sharing of food. Due to health and food allergies, we do not allow students to share food. So while we encourage this in other areas, this is a no-no. Again, please review this with your students and the reasons why we don't share food in the lunchroom.
Cardinal Code Relaunch
The Behavior and PPSC Teams have been working very hard on our plans for Cardinal Code Relaunch the week we return from Intersession. We will have a special Cardinal Code Focus of the Day, be passing out special Red Cardinals to students following the CC, and each student will be given a Yellow Cardinal to recognize another student. Classroom teachers should be planning to spend time each day reteaching the areas of the Cardinal Code that your classroom needs most. At Wednesday's Staff Meeting, Jen W. and Sarah D. will be sharing additional information that they learned and received at their meeting last week regarding PPSC and behavior.
As we head into our second Intersession, I wish you all a very relaxing week! Elena and I will be flying to Florida to see my parents and I look forward to some much needed down time and just sitting by water in (hopefully) the warm sun. May the week recharge you and find you ready to come back and tackle the month of March. It is going to be a great month!
Quotes Worth Reading
"Every next level of your life will demand a different version of you. Be true to yourself, but don't be content."
"It always seems impossible until it's done."
Celebrations & Announcements
Another Staffing Announcement!
I would like to welcome Suzanne Binkley to our Thomson Team! Suzanne has been hired as a Title I Parapro replacing Chris Dingman. Suzanne is a certified teacher with several years of teaching experience who recently moved to Davison with her family. Not only does she have teaching experience, but she has a Masters in Reading and Language Arts and has worked as a reading interventionist. Suzanne's husband is a teacher at the high school and her children are enrolled in Davison as well. Suzanne is set to begin on February 27th. Please join me in welcoming Suzanne to our team!
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Week of January 12th-PLC Week
- Tuesday, February 14th-Happy Valentine's Day!
- Wednesday, February 15th-Staff Meeting (Agenda: Unpacking 5D+, Mini QAR Review; PPSC Share Out-Jen W. & Sarah D.); Child Study Day, please send any new names to Maida and Natalie; Thomson Mini QAR 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Thursday, February 16th-Lockdown; District $5 Jean Day to support Project Graduation
- Friday, February 17th-No School...Intersession #2...school resumes Monday, February 27th.
- Monday, February 27th-$5 Jean Day to Support Big Brothers/Big Sisters; Kindergarten Round-up Appointments will begin being taken; PTO 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 28th-Playground Monitor Meeting, 10:30 a.m.; ELA Committee Meeting, 4:15-6:15 p.m.
- Thursday, March 2nd-Family Reading Night, 4:30-7:30 for staff (5-7 p.m. for the event)