Sequoia Elementary Newsletter
School News and Updates
Dear Sequoia Families,
It has been a very busy week filled with music concert performances, classroom plays, classroom celebrations and Santa deliveries! In addition, SPC gifted our staff with an amazing holiday luncheon yesterday. Thank you to all the families who volunteered their time or brought in food and treats for us!
I wanted to let you know that instead of our Spring Soiree that we have done in the past, SPC will be hosting a "Taste of Sequoia" beer and wine tasting spring fundraising event (date and location TBD). This fundraiser will be focused on the future purchase of a back up battery for our school to use on PSPS days so that Sequoia students can still attend school when power outages happen. We have a passionate group of parents working with myself and the district on all the pieces we need to make this happen (research, engineering, batteries, etc.). It's important for you to know that the district is also doing its part with research and investigation on how RVUSD and/or the state can provide funds for this endeavor as well. We know that sometimes that process takes time and we have an active group that want to make sure we do all we can to prepare for next October in the event that we have more power outages. Toward that effort, we would love to fill you in on how you can help at our next SPC meeting on January 16th at 6:30pm. We will discuss the fundraiser itself and also provide updates on the research and preliminary plan for purchasing a back up battery for our school. In the meantime, if you have contacts for donations for wine and beer or are willing to help plan and execute this event, please contact Dian Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few other updates, reminders and information for you before we head off to break:
- We are looking for a Girls on the Run coach if anyone is interested in running this program for Sequoia girls this spring. The program provides all coaches with training, curriculum materials/supplies, as well as first aid/CPR training. Please email me if you're interested!
- Walk-a-thon gift cards will be going home today so make sure to look in your child's backpack if you are expecting an Amazon card for walkathon earnings!
- Don't forget to check out the "Current Events and Activity Flyers" Button at the bottom of my newsletter with up to date info on league registrations, events and activities happening in Santa Rosa!
- We will resume school on Monday, January 6th (not January 7th as originally scheduled) and our day will end at 1:55pm.
Hope you all have a lovely holiday season with your friends and family! We look forward to seeing all our students back in January!
Future Chefs Culinary Competition
Friday, Jan. 24th 2020 at 3pm
5305 Dupont Drive
Santa Rosa, CA
Pick up your Recipe Card Entry form in the cafeteria, main office or download it below and turn it in by January 24th!
One lucky winner from the fourth or fifth grade from each school will be chosen as finalists to compete in our contest at Village Elementary School on March 25th. As a bonus, the winner of this even will be entered in a Future Chefs National Competition for some great prizes.
Give a Gift Thank You Letter
To the families of Sequoia Elementary,
On behalf of the Give-a-Gift program through the Sonoma County Medical Association Alliance Foundation, we wanted to say THANK YOU for all your help with making this holiday season merrier and brighter for foster youth in Sonoma County. Our entire team was blown away by the generosity displayed by Sequoia’s community. You’ve helped us create holiday magic for 240 foster youth! It truly takes a village to accomplish such a feat, and we take comfort in knowing that so many want to reach out and help. We hope you share in our sense of accomplishment and feel that you had a direct hand in this endeavor. We are grateful for your partnership with our program and look forward to continuing our mission with you in the future. We wish you all the happiest of holidays and all the best this year!
~Samantha & The Give-a-Gift team
In Search of Yearbook Help!
Dates to Remember
- December 23rd - Jan. 3rd - Holiday Break
- January 6th - Early release day - 1:55pm
- January 16th - SPC Meeting in Library @ 6:30pm
- January 20th - No School: MLK Jr Day
Events and Activities Flyers
- Kinderbridge and Kindergarten Registration Flyer
- RVLL 2020 Registration
- RVEF Winter Enrichment Classes
- CMSM Winter Camps
- Space Pirates Musical