August 31, 2023 Edition
Join us! In-person 9th grade Parent-Student Meeting Thursday Night
All 9th graders and their parents/guardians are asked to join us with their students in-person on Thursday, September 7th from 6-7:30pm. We ask that each 9th grade student participate with at least one adult from their household.
- Parents and guardians will have rotating presentations to learn all about the curriculum and tips for success directly from their student's teachers for Mathematics, Research, Environmental Science, and English.
- While the teachers meet with parents/guardians, the 9th grade students will be having a workshop and SNACKS with their peer mentors and a in the cafetorium to expand their toolbox of skills for success this year. A counselor and administrator will be supervising the student workshop while teachers meet with parents/guardians.
Independent Learning Day Expectations
If a student has technical difficulty:
1.) Message or email to the teacher for guidance
2.) Students/parents can review the help documents available in ClassLink’s Tech Help folder with an icon that says, “Student Tech Help”.
3.) Visit website: Parent Technology Support - Rockdale County Public Schools (rockdaleschools.org)
4.) Call 770-860-4259 and leave a detailed message, and a technology staff member will return their call.
Great Colleges are coming to RMSST to Recruit & Inform! All grade levels are expected to participate
See the image below for colleges who have already arranged to come on campus and recruit students. All RMSST college visits occur during 5th lunch from 1:03PM - 1:30 PM. Students in class at RCHS or in need of grabbing a lunch are able obtain a pass from Ms. Harris, Ms. Lindsey, or Ms. Kabance in the front office prior to 3rd block the day of any visit.
These are information sessions that provide benefits to all 9th-12th graders. As such, Mrs. Baskett has set the expectations below for each student's participation:
- 9th graders- Attend 1 or more
- 10th graders- Attend 2 or more
- 11th graders- Attend at least 5 or as many as your schedule allows
- 12th graders- Attend at least 5 AND for every college already on your list
Students who meet the expectations by December will be entered in a raffle for 4 gift cards. Students will get a choice in what gift cards are raffled through the sign in form at each session.
Note that students are responsible for any worked missed due to attending a college visit should they not have 5th lunch. Quizzes and tests should take priority.
FREE Extended Tutorial Now Available Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday
See below for this week's extended tutorial teachers and/or counselors. Keep in mind that even if the teacher/subject you need is not listed, any of the adults can help you make a tutor.com appointment or give you general direction on making the most of your study time.
- Ms. Harris
- Ms. Matthews
- Mrs. Jones
- Mr. Dufresne
- Ms. Lindsey
- Dr. Garner
Celebrating Distinction at RMSST
Dr. Garner elected to the Mathematical Association of America's Congress
Congratulations to Dr. Garner for being elected to the Mathematical Association of America's (MAA) Congress! Dr. Garner was also featured in the MAA's August Member Spotlight. Read the full article here.
Research 1 Scholars learn lab skills & safety
We are excited that our 9th graders have started their journey as hands-on scientists in the RMSST labs!
Embracing Opportunities at RMSST
Peer Tutoring Applications Due by September 8th
We are recruiting new Peer Tutors! Please view the application for more details at Peer Tutor Application 2023-2024.docx. Completed forms must be submitted to the Magnet Front Office by Friday, September 8th.
September Events- Save the Dates!
- Independent Learning Day- Friday, September 1
- Labor Day (no school for students and teachers)- Monday, September 4
- Wellness Wednesday- Wednesday, September 6th (12:40-1pm)
- 9th grade: Family-Student Meeting on Transition to High School & 9th grade Curriculum - Thursday, September 7 (6-7:30pm in-person)
- 9th grade & Peer Mentors only Flex - Friday, September 8 (12:15-1pm)
- 11 Acts of Kindness Day @ RMSST – Monday, September 11
- 10th & 11th grade Family-Student Meetings (will be virtual via Teams) - Thursday, September 14 (6-7:30pm)
- StuCo led Flex Assembly for Monster Dash & Clubs - Friday, September 15 (12:15-1pm)
- Wellness Wednesday- Wednesday, September 20th (12:40-1pm)
- 9th grade & Peer Mentors only Flex - Friday, September 22 (12:15-1pm)
- Ambassadors Working Retreat- Friday, September 22 (11:16am-3:05pm)
- Pre-ACT for 10th Graders - Wednesday, September 27
Pay Magnet Fund Annual Dues Online
Share a shout out to Teachers & Staff Members for a job well done!
A new Magnet News Crew video dropped Monday! In case you missed it...
Reminders & Helpful Links
2023-2024 School Year Calendar - Attendance is the #1 Predictor of Success!
Magnet Families- Please use the school year's calendar as you plan. It is key that students are at school every day that they are well. Research shows that attendance in class is a key predictor for success.
STAR Testing finished August 18th- Access your student's data via Infinite Campus & SLDS
All students took the STAR test for both Reading and Mathematics by August 18th. Our school uses this test to monitor student growth and achievement. Your student's scores are now available through Infinite Campus under the more tab and selecting SLDS. We have detailed video instructions posted on our website to help you with this process and the opportunity to request a more detailed report to help support your student's growth this school year. This report summarizes your child's scores on the assessment and shares areas where they are ready for more practice. As with any assessment, many factors can affect your student's scores. It is important to understand that these scores provide only one picture of how your student is doing in school.
Please access the STAR parent instructions here on the school's website main page for more information.