10 Facts about Corps of Discovery
by Caleb Dorset
Most indian tribes Lewis and Clark met lived in permanent villages and would commonly hunt buffaloes.
When the Corps of Exploration reached the Pacific they met the Northwest Coast Indians. They were excellent in woodworking and created amazing house boats and totem poles.
3. Nez Perce
When Lewis and Clark came back for their horses and goods left with the Nez Perce Indians they may not have gotten all their goods back if it wasn't for Sacagawea. The Nez Perce would not have given their things back if they were traveling alone.
Lewis's had a dog named Seaman. On the return trip Lewis took a shortcut by the Great Falls of Missouri. Seaman saw swans in a creek Lewis called this creek Seaman's creek.
- She was give the nickname "Janey" by Lewis
- She is printed on the dollar coin
- When the Corps were on the Missouri River many important supplies fell of their boats and Sacagawea saved almost all of their supplies out of the water
6. Thomas Jefferson and Lewis
Lewis left the army in 1801 to be Thomas Jefferson's presidential secretary. Thomas had known Lewis since he was a boy.
7. Lewis's Death
Only a few years after the expedition (1806) Lewis died. No one quite knows for sure how he died some people think that he was murdered but others think that he took his own life.
8. Sacagawea's children
After the expedition Clark had offered to adopt Jean Baptist but Sacagawea did not want him to but when Sacagawea died (1812) Clark became the legal guardian of both of her children (Jean Baptist and her daughter, Lisette)
9. Animals killed
On the Exploration lots of game was killed including 62 antelope, 375 elk and 1001 deer.
The first election west of Mississippi allowed slaves to vote the slave who vote was York, Clark's slave the election was for who should be the new sergeant Patrick Gass won.
- Viola, Herman. "Tribes and Culture Areas on the Lewis and Clark Trail." ED Gate.
- NEZ PERCE NATIVE AMERICAN. - A Nez Perce Native American wearing a feather
headdress. Photograph by Edward S. Curtis, c1910.. Fine Art.Encyclopædia
Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 9 Feb 2016.
- "Inside the Corps - Seaman." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2016.
- Creek Log House. Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 9 Feb
- Christine. "Fun Facts about Lewis and Clark." Siue. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb.
- Andrews, Evan. "Little Known Facts about Lewis and Clark." History. N.p., n.d.
Web. 16 Feb. 2016. <http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/